Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
PVDarts501
Steady Sixties
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 9:39 pm

Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by PVDarts501 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm


User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 59519
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Ginge » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:56 pm

If he doesnt like being called amateur, maybe he can do something about it and either a) become amateur, or b) switch.

Vast majority on that side of darts are amateurs. Do the non full-time players in the PDC get narked they are labelled as "professional"? :roll:

PVDarts501
Steady Sixties
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by PVDarts501 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:57 pm

Ginge wrote:If he doesnt like being called amateur, maybe he can do something about it and either a) become amateur, or b) switch.
or C) keep his mounth shut.

Buzz Fledderjohn
Pub Champion
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:03 pm

"Well, the media is regularly labelling us as amateurs. Maybe our prize money is lower and some of us are working behind their darts career as well, but that doesn’t mean we are amateurs."

Erm, yes it does. If you're not making enough money from darts for it to be your main / only source of income, and you need to work other jobs to support your family, you're no more a professional darts player than a bloke earning a bit of beer money in local knockouts.
And that applies equally to the lower echelons of the PDC as well.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 59519
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Ginge » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:04 pm

You cant expect the media to be aware of the job situation of darts players anyway. Especially ones that are barely on TV, from outside the UK.

Blame the BDO for not promoting their players properly....

Astonvilla
Superleague Player
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Astonvilla » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Does he have a full time job or is he just a full time darts player?

1205
The Ton Club
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:44 am

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by 1205 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:"Well, the media is regularly labelling us as amateurs. Maybe our prize money is lower and some of us are working behind their darts career as well, but that doesn’t mean we are amateurs."

Erm, yes it does. If you're not making enough money from darts for it to be your main / only source of income, and you need to work other jobs to support your family, you're no more a professional darts player than a bloke earning a bit of beer money in local knockouts.
And that applies equally to the lower echelons of the PDC as well.
Erm, no. There's a term for it, frequently used in football: semi-professional.

In some sports, if you're an amateur you can't earn or accept money for playing.

User avatar
Stranbougie
The Ton Club
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:50 am

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Stranbougie » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:32 pm

The guy is a balloon , seen him trying to cheat multiple times at the scottish open by bullying the marker that he scored higher than he actually did.

Astonvilla
Superleague Player
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Astonvilla » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Just like all these so called professional punters who spend their afternoons working on ATR and RUK or writing columns in racing papers.

User avatar
phil davies
International
Posts: 6785
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Cwmbran

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by phil davies » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:38 pm

He always comes across as a bit of a knob on TV.
Founder of the Rune David fan club PM me to join

Current members Myself, revans180 and FlashDarts.

markymark
County Player
Posts: 2387
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:42 am

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by markymark » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Fanatics use the fact that the BDO players can't be expected to compete with the PDC boys at the GSOD because they "have jobs" and "don't have time to practice" and, crucially, are "amateurs" so maybe Harms is having a go at the wrong people.

Most of the "darts media" are just people with blogs and probably amateurs themselves anyway!

Buzz Fledderjohn
Pub Champion
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:51 pm

1205 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:"Well, the media is regularly labelling us as amateurs. Maybe our prize money is lower and some of us are working behind their darts career as well, but that doesn’t mean we are amateurs."

Erm, yes it does. If you're not making enough money from darts for it to be your main / only source of income, and you need to work other jobs to support your family, you're no more a professional darts player than a bloke earning a bit of beer money in local knockouts.
And that applies equally to the lower echelons of the PDC as well.
Erm, no. There's a term for it, frequently used in football: semi-professional.

In some sports, if you're an amateur you can't earn or accept money for playing.
But darts isn't one of those sports. Anyone can enter a local knock-out or open and win a few quid.
That doesn't make them anything but amateur.

Also, this term "semi-professional" can cover a multitude of sins. I used to know a lad who claimed to be a "semi-professional rugby league player". In truth, he got £30 a game, plus petrol money for getting to and from training. By the time he'd bought his boots and training kit for the season, he just about broke even.
I'm afraid I stand by my original point that if your earnings from your chosen sport is not your only source of income, or accounts for the vast majority of your income, then you're an amateur who is lucky enough to earn a second income from something they enjoy doing.

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 8583
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by devosteve » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:53 pm

1205 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:"Well, the media is regularly labelling us as amateurs. Maybe our prize money is lower and some of us are working behind their darts career as well, but that doesn’t mean we are amateurs."

Erm, yes it does. If you're not making enough money from darts for it to be your main / only source of income, and you need to work other jobs to support your family, you're no more a professional darts player than a bloke earning a bit of beer money in local knockouts.
And that applies equally to the lower echelons of the PDC as well.
Erm, no. There's a term for it, frequently used in football: semi-professional.

In some sports, if you're an amateur you can't earn or accept money for playing.
technically you might be correct re the use of the word semi professional. But I watch non league football (at step 4 of the non league system). There is some level of payment but I think the players are okay with being described as amateur football players.

Re the situation in darts we know there are professional, semi profesdional/ amateur players in both codes but as a generalisation I think it is fair to say PDC is the professional side of the game whilst the bdo is the amateur side.

as an aside I recall some folk claiming all super league (and even pub league) players are in the bdo system. If so then 99% of bdo players are amateurs.
Jocko Homo.

Addicks Fan
County Player
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:28 pm
Location: Ilford

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Addicks Fan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:58 pm

1205 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:"Well, the media is regularly labelling us as amateurs. Maybe our prize money is lower and some of us are working behind their darts career as well, but that doesn’t mean we are amateurs."

Erm, yes it does. If you're not making enough money from darts for it to be your main / only source of income, and you need to work other jobs to support your family, you're no more a professional darts player than a bloke earning a bit of beer money in local knockouts.
And that applies equally to the lower echelons of the PDC as well.
Erm, no. There's a term for it, frequently used in football: semi-professional.

In some sports, if you're an amateur you can't earn or accept money for playing.
Definition from Oxford dictionary:

semi-professional ADJECTIVE
Receiving payment for an activity but not relying entirely on it for a living.

amateur
NOUN
1A person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid basis.

ADJECTIVE
1Engaging or engaged in without payment; non-professional.

I think semi-professional seems nearer the truth

Addicks Fan
County Player
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:28 pm
Location: Ilford

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Addicks Fan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:00 pm

devosteve wrote:
1205 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:"Well, the media is regularly labelling us as amateurs. Maybe our prize money is lower and some of us are working behind their darts career as well, but that doesn’t mean we are amateurs."

Erm, yes it does. If you're not making enough money from darts for it to be your main / only source of income, and you need to work other jobs to support your family, you're no more a professional darts player than a bloke earning a bit of beer money in local knockouts.
And that applies equally to the lower echelons of the PDC as well.
Erm, no. There's a term for it, frequently used in football: semi-professional.

In some sports, if you're an amateur you can't earn or accept money for playing.
as an aside I recall some folk claiming all super league (and even pub league) players are in the bdo system. If so then 99% of bdo players are amateurs.
Well yes, but not Harms or the other BDO representatives at the GSOD

Buzz Fledderjohn
Pub Champion
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Addicks Fan wrote:
1205 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:"Well, the media is regularly labelling us as amateurs. Maybe our prize money is lower and some of us are working behind their darts career as well, but that doesn’t mean we are amateurs."

Erm, yes it does. If you're not making enough money from darts for it to be your main / only source of income, and you need to work other jobs to support your family, you're no more a professional darts player than a bloke earning a bit of beer money in local knockouts.
And that applies equally to the lower echelons of the PDC as well.
Erm, no. There's a term for it, frequently used in football: semi-professional.

In some sports, if you're an amateur you can't earn or accept money for playing.
Definition from Oxford dictionary:

semi-professional ADJECTIVE
Receiving payment for an activity but not relying entirely on it for a living.

amateur
NOUN
1A person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid basis.

ADJECTIVE
1Engaging or engaged in without payment; non-professional.

I think semi-professional seems nearer the truth
Those definitions are fair enough, but the trouble with darts (and other sports) is that earnings and income are largely non-guaranteed.

When I play for my league team, I do so for fun, so on a Tuesday night I'm an amateur.
But if I enter an open / knockout at the weekend, do I suddenly become semi-professional?
Or do I only achieve that status if I make the money? Or what if I make a bit of money but over the course of the day spend more than I win on food and drink, and go home with less that I left the house with: amateur or semi-professional? Is my status affected if they pay me in holiday camp vouchers rather than cash?

Even applying the OED definitions in this case raises more questions than it answers, which is why I went for the professional / amateur definitions I did earlier, which if nothing else are pretty black and white.

oche balboa
International
Posts: 10173
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by oche balboa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Look at the pile on lead by Zapp & Phil Davies

Harms thought they should be given more respect it’s an honest view

Amateur has been used as a means of ridicule by PDC fanboys for years
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

User avatar
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player
Posts: 3649
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: RE: Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Moongoose McQueeen » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 pm

oche balboa wrote:Look at the pile on lead by Zapp & Phil Davies

Harms thought they should be given more respect it’s an honest view

Amateur has been used as a means of ridicule by PDC fanboys for years
Spot on, Chris

User avatar
Si Robin
Steady Sixties
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:59 am
Location: Tewkesbury

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Si Robin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:
1205 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:"Well, the media is regularly labelling us as amateurs. Maybe our prize money is lower and some of us are working behind their darts career as well, but that doesn’t mean we are amateurs."

Erm, yes it does. If you're not making enough money from darts for it to be your main / only source of income, and you need to work other jobs to support your family, you're no more a professional darts player than a bloke earning a bit of beer money in local knockouts.
And that applies equally to the lower echelons of the PDC as well.
Erm, no. There's a term for it, frequently used in football: semi-professional.

In some sports, if you're an amateur you can't earn or accept money for playing.
Definition from Oxford dictionary:

semi-professional ADJECTIVE
Receiving payment for an activity but not relying entirely on it for a living.

amateur
NOUN
1A person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid basis.

ADJECTIVE
1Engaging or engaged in without payment; non-professional.

I think semi-professional seems nearer the truth
Those definitions are fair enough, but the trouble with darts (and other sports) is that earnings and income are largely non-guaranteed.

When I play for my league team, I do so for fun, so on a Tuesday night I'm an amateur.
But if I enter an open / knockout at the weekend, do I suddenly become semi-professional?
Or do I only achieve that status if I make the money? Or what if I make a bit of money but over the course of the day spend more than I win on food and drink, and go home with less that I left the house with: amateur or semi-professional? Is my status affected if they pay me in holiday camp vouchers rather than cash?

Even applying the OED definitions in this case raises more questions than it answers, which is why I went for the professional / amateur definitions I did earlier, which if nothing else are pretty black and white.
I think the difference between amateur and semi-professional in this case can be broken down to those who travel around chasing points/cash/rankings, and those who go to the odd weekend open where the get together is more important than winning a few games of darts.

You Buzz would be an amateur because you’ve not entered the open to gain points towards Lakeside qualification, whereas Harms, the semi-professional, would be at said open to tick a box, win some coin and get higher in the rankings in the hope of being seeded.

User avatar
nikkiboy
International
Posts: 29177
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: RE: Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by nikkiboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:
oche balboa wrote:Look at the pile on lead by Zapp & Phil Davies

Harms thought they should be given more respect it’s an honest view

Amateur has been used as a means of ridicule by PDC fanboys for years
Spot on, Chris
If you do it for a living you are a professional, if you fit it around your day job you are an amateur. It is not rocket science.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

Post Reply

Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”