Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Post Reply
User avatar
DavidOwen67
International
Posts: 7288
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 am
Location: Nantwich
Contact:

Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by DavidOwen67 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:58 am

Completely unrelated to other topics on here.

A village has 601 inhabitants and they want to decide on having a council to run the village.

Here's how they vote.

5 councillors - 100 votes
4 councillors - 100 votes
3 councillors - 100 votes
2 councillors - 100 votes
1 councillor - 100 votes
0 councillors - 101 votes
Let a shortarse, wimpy, Welsh, pygmy dictator decide everything - 0 votes.

Do these 601 people want a council. Yup, over 80% do.

A bad poll doesn't mean you can go against the majority.

DavidB
County Player
Posts: 4956
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by DavidB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:59 am

Oh dear, seething :grin:

User avatar
DavidOwen67
International
Posts: 7288
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 am
Location: Nantwich
Contact:

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by DavidOwen67 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:03 pm

And that's how you control the posting of a moron.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 59594
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by Ginge » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:04 pm

DavidOwen67 wrote:And that's how you control the posting of a moron.
Well played.

User avatar
DavidOwen67
International
Posts: 7288
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 am
Location: Nantwich
Contact:

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by DavidOwen67 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Ginge wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:And that's how you control the posting of a moron.
Well played.
:D

DavidB
County Player
Posts: 4956
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by DavidB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Yup, still seething and glorious for us all to enjoy :DDD:

Skewball
International
Posts: 6830
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by Skewball » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Niki, are you seriously interpreting the poll results like you did?
You are a fekkin idiot if you have
Bye

User avatar
ChrisW
International
Posts: 23809
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Maastricht

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by ChrisW » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Taking the result very well David :)

only85
Pub Champion
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: rzeszow polska

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by only85 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:22 pm

yes prime minister ,series 1 episode 2 if you want to learn about opinion polls & results classic viewing

User avatar
nikkiboy
International
Posts: 29215
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by nikkiboy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 pm

Personally I'd have just had a yes or no poll but it wasn't set up as that, the option that received the most votes was 'no' which makes it the winner.

You can't suddenly decide to add together the other three options because you don't like the result.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

DavidB
County Player
Posts: 4956
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by DavidB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:19 pm

nikkiboy wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 pm
Personally I'd have just had a yes or no poll but it wasn't set up as that, the option that received the most votes was 'no' which makes it the winner.

You can't suddenly decide to add together the other three options because you don't like the result.


:DDD: :DDD: :DDD:

User avatar
ChrisW
International
Posts: 23809
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Maastricht

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by ChrisW » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 pm

nikkiboy wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 pm
Personally I'd have just had a yes or no poll but it wasn't set up as that, the option that received the most votes was 'no' which makes it the winner.

You can't suddenly decide to add together the other three options because you don't like the result.
Someone thought they were being clever there. Turned out it backfired.
Ginge McLoyalty stated following the result 'Polls need fixing'

DavidB
County Player
Posts: 4956
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by DavidB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:33 pm

Ha Ginge McLoyalty, well played Chris!

User avatar
ssjsa
International
Posts: 16596
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: uddingston, glasgow
Contact:

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by ssjsa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:36 pm

only85 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:22 pm
yes prime minister ,series 1 episode 2 if you want to learn about opinion polls & results classic viewing
For me one of the best television series ever. And somewhat prophetic. The tobacco ban being a prime example.
Image

PL 2013 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2014 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2018 Week 13 Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner

User avatar
Paddy McGinty
International
Posts: 23584
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:01 am
Contact:

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by Paddy McGinty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:17 am

DavidOwen67 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:58 am
Completely unrelated to other topics on here.

A village has 601 inhabitants and they want to decide on having a council to run the village.

Here's how they vote.

5 councillors - 100 votes
4 councillors - 100 votes
3 councillors - 100 votes
2 councillors - 100 votes
1 councillor - 100 votes
0 councillors - 101 votes
Let a shortarse, wimpy, Welsh, pygmy dictator decide everything - 0 votes.

Do these 601 people want a council. Yup, over 80% do.

A bad poll doesn't mean you can go against the majority.
Idiot, take the one at the top for instance, they want a council to have 5 councillors and only 5 will do, they don't want 4,3,2,1. If they can't have 5 councillors then they could of thought well if I can't have five I'd prefer to have no councillors....... no deal is better than a bad deal. ;-)
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"

User avatar
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player
Posts: 3694
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: Opinion Polls and How to Interpret Them

Post by Moongoose McQueeen » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:32 pm

Merger poll is the best poll currently running

Post Reply

Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”