PDC Senior Tour

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Bram_1900
County Player
Posts: 3603
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:12 pm

PDC Senior Tour

Post by Bram_1900 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:15 pm

During the RTL 7 Broadcast of the UK Open quarter Finals Mastercaller and commentator Jacques Nieuwlaat mentioned a senior tour which the PDC is working on a la the Challenge and Development Tour with players in the winter of their careers like Roland Scholten, Peter Manley and Collin Lloyd. He didn't want to say too much about it but he was certain it was coming.

Anyone have heard about this and has more news or rumors?

ChrisW
International
Posts: 24822
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Maastricht

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by ChrisW » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:20 pm

Is it called the BDO?

masticman
Superleague Player
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by masticman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:05 pm

ChrisW wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:20 pm
Is it called the BDO?
:DDD: :DDD: :DDD:

The Jolly Man
County Player
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by The Jolly Man » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:22 pm

It would surely have to be more akin Euro events than challenge Tour. What retired player wants to go to a leisure centre.

only85
Pub Champion
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: rzeszow polska

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by only85 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:25 pm

ChrisW wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:20 pm
Is it called the BDO?
I is it on setanta sports from king George’s hall Blackburn !

markymark
County Player
Posts: 2407
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:42 am

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by markymark » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:22 pm

The novelty factor doesn't last long, as those events on Setanta showed.

User avatar
phil davies
International
Posts: 7999
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Cwmbran

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by phil davies » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:44 pm

Possibly do senior world champs but that’s about it. Fit it around one of the other TV events.
Founder of the Rune David fan club PM me to join

Current members Myself, revans180 and FlashDarts.

Zeyes
International
Posts: 9515
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by Zeyes » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 pm

45-year-old Colin Lloyd being touted as a senior player, there.

User avatar
phil davies
International
Posts: 7999
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Cwmbran

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by phil davies » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Zeyes wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 pm
45-year-old Colin Lloyd being touted as a senior player, there.
Maybe an ex major winners event or something I don’t know. Can’t see it happening anyway but we shall see. Would like to see Manley on TV just once more just to see his methods of annoying opponents once more :grin:
Founder of the Rune David fan club PM me to join

Current members Myself, revans180 and FlashDarts.

Bomber
Brass Darts
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by Bomber » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:32 pm

They've been doing it in snooker for a while, was one event now a new seniors tour and tonight it is in Belfast with the likes of Hendry and White playing some others. People buy tickets, bookies price it up and sponsors stick up money for coverage via bookies or streaming, can't be arsed to watch Jimmy play Ken in a 6 red game tonight myself.

As an aside, snooker Players Championship starts tomorrow, 16 player field. Ronnie is in the weaker half of the field on current form and he is on 994 century breaks to date. He needs 6 tons to get the thousand up and Paddy are offering 5/1 it will be in this tourney - if he loses in the semis he will still play twenty-odd frames and if he plays in the final he will play 30-odd frames, if not forty-odd. Paddys price him as 11/4 to win the thing outright.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 60882
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by Ginge » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:35 pm

Bomber wrote:They've been doing it in snooker for a while, was one event now a new seniors tour and tonight it is in Belfast with the likes of Hendry and White playing some others. People buy tickets, bookies price it up and sponsors stick up money for coverage via bookies or streaming, can't be arsed to watch Jimmy play Ken in a 6 red game tonight myself.

As an aside, snooker Players Championship starts tomorrow, 16 player field. Ronnie is in the weaker half of the field on current form and he is on 994 century breaks to date. He needs 6 tons to get the thousand up and Paddy are offering 5/1 it will be in this tourney - if he loses in the semis he will still play twenty-odd frames and if he plays in the final he will play 30-odd frames, if not forty-odd. Paddys price him as 11/4 to win the thing outright.
The snooker is actually live on TV tonight in PotatoVision (Channel 422)

Bomber
Brass Darts
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by Bomber » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Also, snooker seniors is over 40s, as in Ronnie, Higgins, Williams, all seniors...

Zeyes
International
Posts: 9515
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by Zeyes » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:52 pm

All in all, darts has two issues here: Lots of players managing to stay effective as full-time professionals to relatively old ages, and not enough depth for a full-fledged senior tour among those who don't manage that.

Golf's senior tours start at age 50, and that works pretty well there - basically only all-time greats are capable of being serious contenders on the proper tours into their late 40s. The second-stringers and rank-and-file players usually have to scratch and claw to keep their tour cards once they're on the wrong side of 45, just so they can keep earning steady money before it's finally time to shift over to the senior circuits. Darts might get there eventually if the Pro Tour keeps getting younger on the whole, but as long as 50+ year olds like Beaton and (as of today) Whitlock are able to reach TV quarterfinals without people thinking that it's a massive upset, there's just no real room for a senior tour.

Zapp Brannigan
County Player
Posts: 3995
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by Zapp Brannigan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:06 pm

Bomber wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:32 pm
They've been doing it in snooker for a while, was one event now a new seniors tour and tonight it is in Belfast with the likes of Hendry and White playing some others. People buy tickets, bookies price it up and sponsors stick up money for coverage via bookies or streaming, can't be arsed to watch Jimmy play Ken in a 6 red game tonight myself.

As an aside, snooker Players Championship starts tomorrow, 16 player field. Ronnie is in the weaker half of the field on current form and he is on 994 century breaks to date. He needs 6 tons to get the thousand up and Paddy are offering 5/1 it will be in this tourney - if he loses in the semis he will still play twenty-odd frames and if he plays in the final he will play 30-odd frames, if not forty-odd. Paddys price him as 11/4 to win the thing outright.
Went to the senior championships when it was revamped and they had it in Scunthorpe.

Got talking to Joe Johnson there and he said the whole reason for doing it was China, they paid for everything including sticking them in a hotel so they could play golf all week between sessions. They had a single camera, Virgo commentating live and they streamed it on a Chinese website and it didnt drop 100k viewers all week. Tickets were ok but they gave a load away (I only went because I got 2 free tickets).

Gotta be something similar for there to be any interest in this. Could imagine Sky or ITV asking for a seniors tournament but I cant imagine them doing a senior floor tournament or tour.

ChrisW
International
Posts: 24822
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Maastricht

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by ChrisW » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:08 pm

Stick to exbos. It works why change it.

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 8778
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by devosteve » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:44 pm

Snooker this week is at the Preston guild hall. When are the bdo coming back here?
Whip it!

Bomber
Brass Darts
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by Bomber » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:05 am

I still think if Paddy price Ronnie at 11/4 to win 28 frames of snooker, 5/1 to make 6 tons from 28 for him is fair value. You could even dutch the two bets..

1205
Pub Champion
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:44 am

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by 1205 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:43 am

If you asked van Barneveld I'm sure he'd say that he'd play the full senior tour next year.

Darts is a game with a scoring system that both makes the standard of play obvious, and where small variations make a big difference. When the standard drops, darts can become painful to watch.

But, I think it's not a bad idea to be ready with something. The PDC can see that the ages of players coming onto the tour is falling, but that they have some decent aging talent.

Van Barneveld (51) is retiring, having suffered from the inability to handle playing a lot of games. King (52) and Anderson (48) have recurring back problems. Taylor (58) was still very competitive when he retired.

Wright is 48. Whitlock is 50. Webster is 50. White is 48. Suljovic is 46.

But the oldest player on the PDC tour is 54. That might in part be due to when the split occurred, but it could also be fading health, fading ability and losing the will to put in the hard practice that's needed to survive on the tour.

The BDO has a number of older players, 51 to 60 relatively high on their rankings.

A senior "tour", age 50+, with a limited number of tournaments, that would be less of a grind than the full PDC tour, could be something that would work. But it needs to be a tour that, as in golf (and ten-pin bowling) is competitive enough that players need to be serious in order to compete well.

User avatar
phil davies
International
Posts: 7999
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Cwmbran

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by phil davies » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:31 am

1205 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:43 am
If you asked van Barneveld I'm sure he'd say that he'd play the full senior tour next year.

Darts is a game with a scoring system that both makes the standard of play obvious, and where small variations make a big difference. When the standard drops, darts can become painful to watch.

But, I think it's not a bad idea to be ready with something. The PDC can see that the ages of players coming onto the tour is falling, but that they have some decent aging talent.

Van Barneveld (51) is retiring, having suffered from the inability to handle playing a lot of games. King (52) and Anderson (48) have recurring back problems. Taylor (58) was still very competitive when he retired.

Wright is 48. Whitlock is 50. Webster is 50. White is 48. Suljovic is 46.

But the oldest player on the PDC tour is 54. That might in part be due to when the split occurred, but it could also be fading health, fading ability and losing the will to put in the hard practice that's needed to survive on the tour.

The BDO has a number of older players, 51 to 60 relatively high on their rankings.

A senior "tour", age 50+, with a limited number of tournaments, that would be less of a grind than the full PDC tour, could be something that would work. But it needs to be a tour that, as in golf (and ten-pin bowling) is competitive enough that players need to be serious in order to compete well.
The oldest tour card holder is actually 57 year old Terry Temple.

Though People like Priestley, Bob Anderson, Paul Lim etc. We’re all throwing well enough into their 60’s that they could likely have done reasonable well on the tour. Age means very little in darts providing you still have good health. I can’t see Beaton for example losing his card anytime soon.
Founder of the Rune David fan club PM me to join

Current members Myself, revans180 and FlashDarts.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 60882
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: PDC Senior Tour

Post by Ginge » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 am

Bomber wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:05 am
I still think if Paddy price Ronnie at 11/4 to win 28 frames of snooker, 5/1 to make 6 tons from 28 for him is fair value. You could even dutch the two bets..
Will depend what mood he is in. Could easily be turfed out tonight 6-1 or 6-2

Running at a century every 6.67 frames this season.

Post Reply

Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”