International

Re: PDC Premier League 2020

Post by The Cat »

redman wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:01 pm
ILAD wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:58 pm
redman wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:56 pm
ILAD wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:52 pm
redman wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:50 pm

Seems to be suffering from a pretty acute case of averageitis.

A condition that has been around and has got progressively worse since Sky Sports started covering "darts".
Thump, thump, thump, 26.
Lovely stuff....I love all darts, me.
That’s why we are here, :grin:

Plus taking the piss out of oche.....
Oche is a price among men.
Yup.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Re: PDC Premier League 2020

Post by meetthefeebles »

Duterprat wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:21 pm
meetthefeebles wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:17 pm
Duterprat wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:25 pm
meetthefeebles wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 pm
Duterprat wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:10 pm Christ, the amount of match- and breakdarts Durrant has survived in this PL is breathtaking. Certainly a new record.
I take it that Durrant has won, then? That's usually the trigger for your tirades along these lines.
Not yet, at that point. But Aspinall had missed roughly 10 darts to break or so.
I've got no problem with Durrant winning, I am just a bit surprised how almost everyone seems to think that his PL opponents missing unreal amounts of darts to win legs/matches is somehow a "skill". I cannot recall that any commentator mentioned that he was simply extremely lucky to get away with it, even with nearly double digits of match darts survived in some of his matches.
How is it 'lucky' that other players miss match darts against him. Darts thrown don't go in, or miss, doubles by luck. If the other player misses, then they have not done what they are supposed to do. Why should Durrant be critiqued for the failings of other players to do what he does?
How is it lucky? Did you actually watch the PL games? Peter Wright lost some games with freak averages because his opponents didn't miss that day and Durrant won/drew with a much lesser average AND surviving matchdarts on even more occasions. Of course that will level out over a year or two, but one must be somehow special to overlook what happened during that specific PL run.

And where exactly do you see a critique of Durrant in my post? The thing i've been / I am critical about (from the day the PDC started it) is the (still) undeserved hype he gets compared to other players who did achieve way more than him in the same time span (the same goes for Sherrock and the grotesque praise she gets for at best mediocre performances, or Devon Petersen who - according to the comms - was hyped into being in the discussion for the currently best player just a few weeks ago (not much left of that after he bombed early two times in a row, fortunately)).

Of course Durrant can only beat what's in front of him, but he WAS extremely lucky in the PL league phase and then had the luck to run into two opponents who did not even get their B game on in the playoffs. He won the PL, but he did so with a sub 90 average for the day: that is hardly impressive in todays game. I wouldn't even be surprised if that was by some margin the worst PL playoff night ever, stats wise.

That has nothing to to with him personally and nothing with the BDO. I do not like double standards, and I don't like it when PDC/Sky insult their customers with hype bullshit that cannot be backed by results and statistics.

By the way, nice example yesterday: Durrant on 106, the muppets in the box instantly start to rave about how it is pretty much a formality that Durrant will check this and any other outshot in that range. Durrant: hits 5, then 17. Next time he's on a 100ish finish, commentators: These are the finishes Durrant always takes out... As if they had a script that completely independent from what's actually happening.
Yes, most comms are muppets. Have been for years. It's why I don't pay for their 'product' any more. It's garbage.

But when you are here writing essays about how 'lucky' a bloke is for winning a darts tournament which lasts about eight months and contains all of the best players in the world, you just come across as bitter. 'Two wrongs don't make a right' and all that....