The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Post by Ginge »

Oh god not another Go Fund Me! To donate money to someone who has just been given roughly the annual average wage (in Wales at least) for a weeks work :roll:

Here is a fucking though, had the Fanatics all bought a ticket, Wayne wouldnt have got £23k. Go and tell them that.
Big Jock Knew
trotter01
Pub Champion

Re: The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Post by trotter01 »

Not seen The Sun for years but they used to use Phil Lanning as their darts reporter who is the son of Dave... Phil is still knocking around so does he still report for The Sun... He knows darts so maybe it's through him ?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

"I can't believe Trent Alexander-Arnold only gets £100k a week for Liverpool when Mohammed Salah gets double that, he is by far the glue that holds the team together and his crosses into the box are impeccable in the main, is there any way we can club together to send him a few more deserved quid?"
Big Jock Knew
Si Robin
Pub Champion

Post by Si Robin »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:34 pm Oh god not another Go Fund Me! To donate money to someone who has just been given roughly the annual average wage (in Wales at least) for a weeks work :roll:

Here is a fekkin though, had the Fanatics all bought a ticket, Wayne wouldnt have got £23k. Go and tell them that.
I have to admit, whilst the drop in prize fund is ridiculous and an insult to the players, the way some are going on you'd think they'd all been shot in the head. It's like someone has actually died because the winner hasn't being given 100 grand.

Worse things have happened before. It's getting so melodramatic it's painful.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

trotter01 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:42 pm Not seen The Sun for years but they used to use Phil Lanning as their darts reporter who is the son of Dave... Phil is still knocking around so does he still report for The Sun... He knows darts so maybe it's through him ?
He owns that new Oche darts magazine I think. Used to work for the Scottish Sun.
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

The only real issue is the way the prize fund was cut so close to the competition and all the nonsense that followed.

If you were planning a BDO WC for next year I would say a winners prize of in excess of 20K is more than fair. What they paid RVB or Adams when they were winning what was a much much stronger field and a creditable rival to the PDC is irrelevant.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

phil davies wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:07 pm
Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:37 am
devosteve wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:33 am Love the blurb at the bottom of the letter. "this is private info, only for you, don't share without permission etc" Got a feeling no one is taking this on.

Though I do wonder if each letter had a different 'mistake' so that the board could suss out who is leaking the info. This did this once before I recall: sent slightly different letters to folk to catch someone out?
My understanding is that Nick Kenny openly shared those screencaps on fanatics, I doubt he gives a shit.
Trust me he has had it with how shit the BDO has been run.
Although there is some hypocrisy because he was crying on Twitter on the 30th when that original letter got leaked. But yet was happy to put the prize fund on Fanatics. Hmm.
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

After reading most of the post on here, this is my interpretation of the events. Late Christmas Eve, The Chairman of the BDO received an email from SPORTOTAL that they hadn’t managed to get the sponsors for the WORLDS and that they were terminating their contract with the BDO immediately. How can anyone blame the BDO when the people who had taken thousands and thousands of pounds from the company for supposedly bringing sponsors to the Worlds.

Then leaving the BDO only 5 days to try and find £150,000 plus for the prize monies. Which in my opinion is virtually impossible in that length of time. So the Chairman and Vice Chairman contacted all players involved and explained this, giving them a minimum prize fund.

They were asked if they would like to pullout of the competition because the funds weren’t available. It was entirely their decision.All but one player agreed to still play for the minimum sum. The BDO then managed to add the rest of the ticket sales, which were received on Monday to increase the minimum fund. Then you see some players putting the prize fund on here, not explaining the circumstances surrounding the said amount.

But letters ie emails were sent out to all counties regarding this and the players as explained above. My question is why are they disappointed about the prize fund when they knew beforehand what it would be? Bare minimum. Hold my hand up if wrong, but very doubtful"

Fair comment,thread,on fanatics?

Though Tony m says not entirely factual.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Determined to blame anyone but himself, isnt he?

Lest we forget that whilst Auntie Sue was paying Sportotal the same £5k a month Des had to pay, the BDO was just about breaking even, making a very slight loss at worst.
Big Jock Knew
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

He fails to mention all the sponsors that Des had secured, what happened to them? That's not Sportotals fault.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
TheVillan
The Ton Club

Post by TheVillan »

devosteve wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:25 pm After reading most of the post on here, this is my interpretation of the events. Late Christmas Eve, The Chairman of the BDO received an email from SPORTOTAL that they hadn’t managed to get the sponsors for the WORLDS and that they were terminating their contract with the BDO immediately. How can anyone blame the BDO when the people who had taken thousands and thousands of pounds from the company for supposedly bringing sponsors to the Worlds.

Then leaving the BDO only 5 days to try and find £150,000 plus for the prize monies. Which in my opinion is virtually impossible in that length of time. So the Chairman and Vice Chairman contacted all players involved and explained this, giving them a minimum prize fund.

They were asked if they would like to pullout of the competition because the funds weren’t available. It was entirely their decision.All but one player agreed to still play for the minimum sum. The BDO then managed to add the rest of the ticket sales, which were received on Monday to increase the minimum fund. Then you see some players putting the prize fund on here, not explaining the circumstances surrounding the said amount.

But letters ie emails were sent out to all counties regarding this and the players as explained above. My question is why are they disappointed about the prize fund when they knew beforehand what it would be? Bare minimum. Hold my hand up if wrong, but very doubtful"

Fair comment,thread,on fanatics?

Though Tony m says not entirely factual.
BDO signed the contract with Sportotal. Unless the BDO did some cracking due diligence, then that's how the BDO are to blame. Also, it would have been clear well in advance on 24th December 2019 that there were no sponsors lined up - just because the BDO can't line them up themselves does not mean they don't get told what has been lined up.

I haven't seen any "minimum amounts" hence the frenzy of speculation.

So no, not really fair comment IMO, even if it does contain some.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

ILAD wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 pm He fails to mention all the sponsors that Des had secured, what happened to them? That's not Sportotals fault.
Jacklin was not allowed to secure sponsors. He could only introduce them to Sportotal who had exclusive commercial rights.

Sportotal negotiated the Channel 4 deal and then got the juicy exclusive contract.

Failing to adjust to a difficult market was what caused the original split. The BDO have exacerbated their problems by being suckered by a couple of shysters.
Last edited by 1205 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

1205 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:32 pm
ILAD wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 pm He fails to mention all the sponsors that Des had secured, what happened to them? That's not Sportotals fault.
Jacklin was not allowed to secure sponsors. He could only introduce them to Sportotal who had exclusive commercial rights.
Who secured the use of the o2 venue?
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

They never knew before hand what it would be, they merely knew it was reduced.

And the sponsors not being found by sportotal weeks beforehand isn't an issue because Des said he had them all lined up, at least that's what he said in his prospectus which led to him getting the job.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Also "late Christmas eve" the event and venue were booked months beforehand, who leaves it to a week before the event to secure a sponsor? If none were secured at the announcement of the venue then sportotal have failed and the BDO should have stepped in and used Des' sponsors who were lined up.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:37 pm Also "late Christmas eve" the event and venue were booked months beforehand, who leaves it to a week before the event to secure a sponsor? If none were secured at the announcement of the venue then sportotal have failed and the BDO should have stepped in and used Des' sponsors who were lined up.
The event should have been cancelled when one wasnt forthcoming.
Big Jock Knew
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:33 pm
Not sure what that would come under. They're a venue, rather than a sponsor.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

1205 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:43 pm
Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:33 pm
Not sure what that would come under. They're a venue, rather than a sponsor.
Quite sure they had to secure venues as well, seen it written somewhere before.

So are they now at a venue in a contract for 9 more years that Des doesnt want?
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Maybe Warren Brown would have actually been better for the BDO.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Ginge wrote:Determined to blame anyone but himself, isnt he?

Lest we forget that whilst Auntie Sue was paying Sportotal the same £5k a month Des had to pay, the BDO was just about breaking even, making a very slight loss at worst.
And the players got told midweek that sponsors had managed to double the minimum fund