Televising the BICC ffs

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Demolition_fan
Pub Champion

Re: Televising the BICC ffs

Post by Demolition_fan »

The Selectas are a pair of inept twats
I’m sure viewers will be clamouring to watch county jobbers in best of 7 matches
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

NvH wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:40 pm
brainim wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:34 pm Televising county darts will feel like we are watching a Rita, Sue and Bob too sequel
Pretty much. Some people are still stuck in the past. What is the point? The only interest I had in county darts this season was finding out that Glamorgan stuffed Lincolnshire the other week. Nice to see a win, even if it's a made up county name.

Do they mean:

1) Vale of Glamorgan? (Doubt it, it's too small and sparsely populated)
2) Mid Glamorgan (no longer exists)
3) South Glamorgan (see above) or
4) West Glamorgan (as above)?
So should the Cricket County split up?
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Okay, so we are drifting further from the point.

Is there a market for non-PDC darts on TV? Yes.

Is it possible that the BICC could fill that gap? Perhaps.

Should this be a priority for the BDO at present time? No.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

oche balboa wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:55 pm
brainim wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:34 pm Televising county darts will feel like we are watching a Rita, Sue and Bob too sequel
Pretty much. Some people are still stuck in the past. What is the point? The only interest I had in county darts this season was finding out that Glamorgan stuffed Lincolnshire the other week. Nice to see a win, even if it's a made up county name.

Do they mean:

Seriously? No, they're in bad enough shape as it is.

It should be called Wales instead, and merge with the Welsh minor counties. to maybe encourage more people from the rest of Wales to take up the game. Otherwise the future for Glamorgan looks bleaker than the future for Leicestershire and Derbyshire. To be honest, I don't even know why they don't merge the minor counties with some of the small major ones. Cumbria could join Durham, etc.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

NvH wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:21 am

Do they mean:

It should be called Wales instead, and merge with the Welsh minor counties. to maybe encourage more people from the rest of Wales to take up the game. Otherwise the future for Glamorgan looks bleaker than the future for Leicestershire and Derbyshire. To be honest, I don't even know why they don't merge the minor counties with some of the small major ones. Cumbria could join Durham, etc.
Wales (minor county) provides players for Glamorgan if they are good enough. But I agree more feeders in cricket as to happen. Mergers don’t work but working agreements are the way forward

ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

phil davies wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 am Could use some history and form a super county of Morgannwg. Which was what happened when the Welsh Kingdoms of Gwent and Glywysing (essentially modern day Glamorgan) joined together for over 100 years in 630. And then again for a short period between 942 and 974 under Morgan the old.

Anyone that’s today’s history lesson over folks.
Drupid will be along shortly to tell you that is incorrect, he's Welsh you know.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

phil davies wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 am Could use some history and form a super county of Morgannwg. Which was what happened when the Welsh Kingdoms of Gwent and Glywysing (essentially modern day Glamorgan) joined together for over 100 years in 630. And then again for a short period between 942 and 974 under Morgan the old.

Anyone that’s today’s history lesson over folks.
Tremendous stuff. Good knowledge.

Now, be a lamb and learn the difference between "their" and "there". :D
Bomber
Superleague Player

Post by Bomber »

it has it's place but it's not on telly, no more than wheelchair tennis or curling, even most people who play darts wouldn't watch it
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Wong thread.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

oche balboa wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:12 am

Do they mean:

Wales (minor county) provides players for Glamorgan if they are good enough. But I agree more feeders in cricket as to happen. Mergers don’t work but working agreements are the way forward
I know. I'm very much in favour of streamlining domestic cricket so that the best players meet more often. It would help the England team as their players would be playing at a consistently higher level, thus the step up to international cricket wouldn't be so great.

But it's not a popular opinion. George Dobell is usually a very good writer on cricket but wanted a new T20 competition with minor counties involved! How do you sell that? You need the big cities involved. It needs to be a night out, like Hearn has done with the darts (sorry to all the BDOers). But it's not as crazy as creating a fourth format with 100 balls. Why the need for that? Are we going to have a world cup for that too?

Anyway, I don't really have much cricketing knowledge, but of course I hope Glamorgan don't die.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

NvH wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:24 pm

Do they mean:

I know. I'm very much in favour of streamlining domestic cricket so that the best players meet more often. It would help the England team as their players would be playing at a consistently higher level, thus the step up to international cricket wouldn't be so great.

But it's not a popular opinion. George Dobell is usually a very good writer on cricket but wanted a new T20 competition with minor counties involved! How do you sell that? You need the big cities involved. It needs to be a night out, like Hearn has done with the darts (sorry to all the BDOers). But it's not as crazy as creating a fourth format with 100 balls. Why the need for that? Are we going to have a world cup for that too?

Anyway, I don't really have much cricketing knowledge, but of course I hope Glamorgan don't die.
Id argue the exact opposite. I think the only way cricket can actually grown now is to create a proper pyramid, it was the intention when they first started the divisions and they bottled it. This hundred competition and the attempts to franchise teams is complete bullshit.

ECB level club cricket and minor counties are as strong as they have ever been,
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Do England players play much county cricket?
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ILAD wrote:Do England players play much county cricket?
One day and T20 stuff mainly, and even that isnt often.
Big Jock Knew
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Ginge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:44 pm
ILAD wrote:Do England players play much county cricket?
One day and T20 stuff mainly, and even that isnt often.
That’s what I thought.

oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:32 pm

Id argue the exact opposite. I think the only way cricket can actually grown now is to create a proper pyramid, it was the intention when they first started the divisions and they bottled it. This hundred competition and the attempts to franchise teams is complete bullshit.

Sorry but thats complete rubbish. Club Cricket & its participation is on the decline. The Birmingham League cut from 4 to 2 but still the richer clubs sign the best players whatever the division.

Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

oche balboa wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:32 pm
NvH wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:21 am Seriously? No, they're in bad enough shape as it is.

Sorry but thats complete rubbish. Club Cricket & its participation is on the decline. The Birmingham League cut from 4 to 2 but still the richer clubs sign the best players whatever the division.
I said ecb level