Red Dragon Askari 23g - Review

Used a product?
Won some darts?
Got some info on any darts equipment?

This is the place to put your reviews
Deleted User

Red Dragon Askari 23g - Review

Post by Deleted User »

These were won as a prize in the PL Comp 2020 and it seems only fair to review the darts as a thank you to our continuing generous sponsors Red Dragon Darts.

Plus, I said I would put something on here.

I'm sure the other winners will do something similar.......

In fairness, with the lockdown restarting, I've not played any competitive darts apart from some online games with some from the WhatsApp group including Nick, Oche, Wookiee (I think) and Moongoose. Thanks to knackering my shoulder in August I have kept practice to a bare minimum since then but wanted to start again and give the Askari 23g a run out.

You can find them on the Red Dragon site here https://www.reddragondarts.com/askari-23-gram

First impressions

Red Dragon describe these as "The world’s first quasi-futuristic, biomechanically designed darts. Triple axis engineering for next generation handling."
I don't really know what that all means, but they are a lovely looking dart with black enamel points and black enamel again in the cuts of the grip.
The shape is reminiscent of the Tony David style darts that Jelle Klaasen used to use (and indeed won Lakeside with) but with a turned cut at the bulb of the barrel and thick buttress grooves along the main part.

Set-up

They come with a set of clear polycarb medium stems with fitted ring grips and extra thick Hardcore flights that are colour co-ordinated nicely to the dart, so they look excellent when fully set up. I have have always thrown a bullet-shaped or "bomb" profile barrel and these feel really suitable for my throwing grip, so I felt at home with them from the first throw.

Throw

Managed to hit a ton with just the second throw with them this morning after not throwing a dart in over a month and the darts seem very forgiving particularly when I have to fight off the dreaded snatch/yips of dartitis that hits my gave on a regular basis. The nicer the darts feel in the hand (which these do) the more it allows me to relax and throw straighter and more consistently as a result.
Because of the deep cut grooves these barrels have tons of grip for those of you who like that.

I'll continue to use these in practice and will stick with them as my main darts when we finally get back to pubs and competitive arrows.

ssjsa
International

Re: Red Dragon Askari 23g - Review

Post by ssjsa »

Just a quick reminder that this thread is solely for product discussion, and not for pursuit of personal agendas.

Thank you.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

I live right by Red Dragon's factory.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

The Cat wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:18 pm I live right by Red Dragon's factory.
Have you visited it?

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

ssjsa wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:19 pm
The Cat wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:18 pm I live right by Red Dragon's factory.
Have you visited it?
I used to very often. Prefer Cosmo flights and stems though these days and can get those a little cheaper elsewhere.

The Red Dragon darts are good value for money though.