Best gig /festival

ChrisW
International

Best gig /festival

Post by ChrisW »

What's the best night you had in the days when bands could perform to an audience?
Top 5?
BlueSpark
International

Re: Best gig /festival

Post by BlueSpark »

Any of the raves I went to in London in the 90s when I was 16. Get the drugs out, hit the cans of Red Stripe and dance like a lunatic until 7am.
Halcyon days
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Simple minds at Wembley 1990 I think.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

In 1976, I saw ELO at the Birmingham NEC. I was there shouting with everyone else “Come back on, ELO, and carry on playing!"
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

V99 festival or Leeds 2001 were my favourites.

Always found with festivals the line up isnt that important. Just good weather and the right company.

The state of both of those festivals these days. Particularly V.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Favourite festival type event was Stone Roses at Spike Island.
Great company, weird day. But will never forget it.
Roses were actually not that great that day.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Rout wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:18 pm V99 festival or Leeds 2001 were my favourites.

Always found with festivals the line up isnt that important. Just good weather and the right company.

The state of both of those festivals these days. Particularly V.
Indeed. Some of the shit served up these days

6B0A43D7-2E69-42BC-B897-4EF5206AB651.jpeg
6B0A43D7-2E69-42BC-B897-4EF5206AB651.jpeg (80.06 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
Back when music was good
8B013684-E18B-4248-93C7-52B80964E8F9.jpeg
8B013684-E18B-4248-93C7-52B80964E8F9.jpeg (270.39 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Saw Ultravox at Whitley Bay ice rink in 1987/8, they were good. Saw Spandau Ballet about the same time at the same place and they were absolutely shite. Saw Bros at Wembley and Debbie Gibson was the support. That was 1990 I think.( EDIT it was 19th August 1990, my 21st birthday, fuck me my memory is terrible now :grin: )It was class, full of birds, I was working and was at the front of the stage picking up the crowd that got trampled every time there was a surge towards the stage. It was manic.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Bros. Lol.
Best band I’ve seen recently was Level 42 in Cardiff.
We have Carfest South festival down here literally 3 miles down the road, normally go every year as get preferential tickets before general sale. Seen so many bands and artists over the years. From memory the best act I saw there was the Kaiser Chiefs.
Then Faithless played and everyone went mental.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

In 1990 I lived in one of the side streets of Maine Road City ground. We had three gigs over three weeks. Prince, Fleetwood Mac and Rolling Stones.
Sat in the back garden and could hear them perfectly.
For the Stones gig which we were a bit more up for it we decided to wander down to the exit gates of the stadium.
They opened the gates after the band left the stage.
We went in and ended up standing near the corner flag right next to the stage. The Stones then came back on and did three encore numbers.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

BlueSpark wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:46 pm Bros. Lol.
Best band I’ve seen recently was Level 42 in Cardiff.
We have Carfest South festival down here literally 3 miles down the road, normally go every year as get preferential tickets before general sale. Seen so many bands and artists over the years. From memory the best act I saw there was the Kaiser Chiefs.
Then Faithless played and everyone went mental.
The old Wembley stadium packed out for a gig in summer was unreal, saw loads of groups over the 4 years I lived down their, the experience of it was something I won’t forget.

Rout
International

Post by Rout »

During when Glasto should have been on this year the beeb put a load of quality stuff on. One of them was an interesting docu about the history and in particular, the stuff about people hopping over the fences to get in free.

Eavis wasn't even arsed and at its peak around half the people there had got in that way.

It's all so corporate now.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Frank Turner
Slipknot
The Used
Oasis
Iron Maiden

My favourite live acts. Steel Panther for the sheer amount of tits.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Rout wrote:During when Glasto should have been on this year the beeb put a load of quality stuff on. One of them was an interesting docu about the history and in particular, the stuff about people hopping over the fences to get in free.

Eavis wasn't even arsed and at its peak around half the people there had got in that way.

It's all so corporate now.
Only changed because of the licence and the locals starting a suit against him, the compromise was the wall and the yearly council meeting they have for locals to air their concerns.

Did Glastonbury in 2013(??) for the stones that was a great weekend.

Leeds 08 was great - Metallica, rage

Best gig - muse at Sheffield, enter shikari at the baths hall was insane, Frank Turner doing a solo set in a club in Leeds, brand new at rock city
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

This wins easily ahead of Radiohead at V Festival in 2006 and Dylan at the NEC in '87 supported by Tom Petty.

Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

The Cure at Glastonbury.
UKDA 4 Life
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:54 am This wins easily ahead of Radiohead at V Festival in 2006 and Dylan at the NEC in '87 supported by Tom Petty.

Very jealous of the Ramones. Did you see Nirvana? My dad went to Reading 1992 and I’ve never forgiven him for not taking six year old me.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Black Velvet wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:37 pm
DavidOwen67 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:54 am This wins easily ahead of Radiohead at V Festival in 2006 and Dylan at the NEC in '87 supported by Tom Petty.

Very jealous of the Ramones. Did you see Nirvana? My dad went to Reading 1992 and I’ve never forgiven him for not taking six year old me.
Nope. No Nirvana. Very high up in the list of bands I wish I'd seen along with Queen, Led Zep, King Crimson, Blondie, The Clash, Rush, Pink Floyd and The Eagles.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Billy Bragg. For f*cks sake.
Big Jock Knew
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:00 pm Billy Bragg. For f*cks sake.
Ginge, this was the mid-80s.

Bragg was not only cool but was great entertainment. Maybe not a stadium act like the others, but still great.

Enjoy!