Barry Hearn retires

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
deathrides
Steady Sixties

Barry Hearn retires

Post by deathrides »

Barry Hearn steps down as Matchroom Sport boss after almost 40 years

The announcement he will move away from day-to-day operational duties comes more than a year after he suffered a “mild heart attack” and underwent emergency surgery to insert two stents. It is also just six months since he was struck down with Covid.

Hearn, a chartered accountant, established Matchroom Sport in April 1982 and the organisation globally promotes darts, snooker, boxing, fishing, pool, tenpin bowling and golf.

Son Eddie, 41, will take over the running of the company as its new chairman – which includes responsibility for PDC darts and PGA EuroPro golf – but he will retain his influential and powerful role as the head of boxing.

Hearn’s daughter Katie will remain in charge of the recently-launched Matchroom Media.

Steve Dawson, CEO of World Snooker Limited, will take over running of snooker after the conclusion of the 2021 Betfred World Snooker Championship in Sheffield.

Hearn will now become group president in an advisory role and he said: “It has been a huge honour to have worked with some of the greatest sports people on the planet across the last 40 years.

“I’ve enjoyed so many wonderful experiences across our spectrum of events in that time, from snooker’s glory days of the 1980s to record-breaking boxing shows and the incredible growth of professional darts. We have created opportunities for thousands of sportsmen and women during that time.

“I’d been determined to stay in charge until this Covid disaster passed. Now there is light at the end of the tunnel, I believe it’s the right time to pass control of Matchroom to my son Eddie and the brilliant teams we’ve assembled across all our activities.
deathrides
Steady Sixties

Re: Barry Hearn retires

Post by deathrides »

Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

Sad day for darts as I believe he has a real passion for it. Let's hope Eddie does, But have a feeling Boxing will be his one he wants to promote and grow more.
JFT97
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Matt Porter will be effectively in charge of darts I would imagine.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

The end of an era. Quite astounding what he did in Darts and Snooker, especially the latter given it only had 5 or 6 events a year when he took over.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:36 am Matt Porter will be effectively in charge of darts I would imagine.
Exactly. No change.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

What a guy. The guy is a legend of UK sport bar none.

I did watch a video on the World Snooker website earlier - he looks tired (is he suffering from long Covid?); obviously the recent heart attack probably made the decision for him too.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

I feel sorry for rout who now wont be able to cry non stop about barry hearn, and will be forced to come up with some new material
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

^^^^ Living in his head rent free.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Garry Murphy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 pm I feel sorry for rout who now wont be able to cry non stop about barry hearn, and will be forced to come up with some new material
:WWWW:
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

i thought he looked a little frail last night at the snooker. Stepped down at the right time.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Bomber
Superleague Player

Post by Bomber »

he plays over-70s cricket, he's probably fitter than a lot of dart players half his age

he may be retiring but he'll still be pulling strings and 'making suggestions'
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Garry Murphy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 pm I feel sorry for rout who now wont be able to cry non stop about barry hearn, and will be forced to come up with some new material
He'll cry about Eddie or Matt Porter instead. Let's face it, he's never going to stop.
Sprocket01
Pub Champion

Post by Sprocket01 »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
He'll cry about Eddie or Matt Porter instead. Let's face it, he's never going to stop.
Where to start with this...
TimmyB
County Player

Post by TimmyB »

Sprocket01 wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:
Peeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttter please can I come back to the marking scheme? I'll let you be best man at my wedding.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

TimmyB wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:46 pm
Sprocket01 wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:
Peeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttter please can I come back to the marking scheme? I'll let you be best man at my wedding.
:grin:
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

Rough goings there Dave.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Case wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:06 pm Rough goings there Dave.
Sprocket has begged Nikkiboy to let him come back so he can chase people again.

Others elsewhere are running a book on how long he will last before being banned.

The smart money is all on 14 days or fewer.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:53 pm

Others elsewhere are running a book on how long he will last before being banned.

Do you chase anyone Dave?

Edited by Admin
Last edited by ssjsa on Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Your blatent disregard of requests to desist this type of posting is becoming rather tiresome.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

DavidOwen67 wrote:

The Rush Limbaugh effect.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.