Night 10 - Thursday April 14 - AO Arena, Manchester
Night 11 - Thursday April 21 - P&J Live, Aberdeen
Night 12 - Thursday April 28 - 3Arena, Dublin
Night 13 - Thursday May 5 - OVO Arena, Glasgow
Night 14 - Thursday May 12 - Utilita Arena, Sheffield
Night 15 - Thursday May 19 - The O2, London
Night 16 - Thursday May 26 - Utilita Arena Newcastle
Berlin - Thursday June 13 - Mercedes-Benz Arena, Berlin
Last edited by ChrisW on Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
County Player

Re: Premier League 2022

Post by 1205 »

At last, the O2 no longer has the play-offs.
Instead of people having to travel to London, they have a much easier journey to Newcastle instead.
fling
County Player

Post by fling »

1205 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:06 pm At last, the O2 no longer has the play-offs.
Instead of people having to travel to London, they have a much easier journey to Newcastle instead.
That has been known for ages but it is good that it is outside of London for a change.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Interesting the headline sponsor has moved from a bookie to Cazoo as car retail website.

Good to see PDC starting to wean themselves off having only bookies as sponsors. Gives them some leeway if the Government bans bookie sponsorship in future.

Matchroom are doing this in snooker as well as darts. More to switch though.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

malcy93 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:40 pm Interesting the headline sponsor has moved from a bookie to Cazoo as car retail website.

Good to see PDC starting to wean themselves off having only bookies as sponsors. Gives them some leeway if the Government bans bookie sponsorship in future.

Or maybe it's just that Cazoo is going to throw some money around for a while.
Bomber
Superleague Player

Post by Bomber »

1205 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:30 pm
malcy93 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:40 pm Interesting the headline sponsor has moved from a bookie to Cazoo as car retail website.

Or maybe it's just that Cazoo is going to throw some money around for a while.
yep, i think i read that somewhere that they are going to splash a lot of sports sponsorship about and barry has first dibs on a fair bit

unless the guv ban gambling then nothing will be as reliable as bookies income and cazoo's half year losses jumped from 30 million to 100 million for the first six months of this year, factor in electricity woes and the likelihood petrol/diesel cars will be scrap value only in a dozen years or so and they may need them bookies back in the not so distant

whatever
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

First direct in Leeds will be deserted what with the lakeside being on that week.

ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

https://dartsnews.com/pdc/mardle-believ ... ood-enough

Many including Mardle tipped Sherrock for a Premier League spot during the Grand Slam of Darts but nearly a month on, he has back tracked those comments.

"I was waxing lyrical during the Grand Slam saying why not consider her for a Premier League place because of the way she was playing. But I really do think that's got to be forgotten about and be on the backburner because that performance wasn't good enough to warrant a Premier League spot."
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:41 am https://dartsnews.com/pdc/mardle-believ ... ood-enough

Many including Mardle tipped Sherrock for a Premier League spot during the Grand Slam of Darts but nearly a month on, he has back tracked those comments.

"I was waxing lyrical during the Grand Slam saying why not consider her for a Premier League place because of the way she was playing. But I really do think that's got to be forgotten about and be on the backburner because that performance wasn't good enough to warrant a Premier League spot."
I think they have all managed to get themselves stuck between a rock & a hard place, the offer should have been made by now for her regardless of a wc performance IMO, the pdc & sky have used her for promotional gain & fair enough but to drop her now would leave a sour taste in the mouth & have a detrimental effect on her going forward in all sorts of ways I feel
County Player

Post by 1205 »

only85 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:17 am
ChrisW wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:41 am https://dartsnews.com/pdc/mardle-believ ... ood-enough

I think they have all managed to get themselves stuck between a rock & a hard place, the offer should have been made by now for her regardless of a wc performance IMO, the pdc & sky have used her for promotional gain & fair enough but to drop her now would leave a sour taste in the mouth & have a detrimental effect on her going forward in all sorts of ways I feel
Only because they thought of the good games and moments, and ignored a lot of the mediocre to average play. She's not Premier League level. That's top 10 in the world.

I'm sure she's happy to shut up and take the money. Grand Slam, World Championships, World Series of Darts plus the Women's Series, and on the off weeks she can play WDF events* and/or exhibitions.
* Assuming, based on her usual patterns of play, she fails to get a card.
DartsMadJohn
Steady Sixties

Post by DartsMadJohn »

If Sherrock was shoehorned in no matter what then it would reinforce the notion in people's minds that the "Premier" League is really just the "Glorified Exhibition League".

Players who are there should be there purely on merit, but instead you feel they are itching to give the likes of Barneveld a place now he's "unretired" even though his ranking is in the 50s.

One idea could be to have an odd number in the league and the "leftover" player gets to play "Challenger" matches like was done when Anderson (I think??) had to withdraw. So this way, you could have the Dublin night featuring Keane Barry, the Berlin night feature Gabriel Clemens, a PL stop in Milton Keynes which you can work out the answer to yourself, but these would be one-off matches, not sticking the likes of Mardle in the PL with guaranteed prize money year after year just because he's a "name" with loud shirts and an entertaining walk-on but in crap form.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

DartsMadJohn wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:07 pm If Sherrock was shoehorned in no matter what then it would reinforce the notion in people's minds that the "Premier" League is really just the "Glorified Exhibition League".

Players who are there should be there purely on merit, but instead you feel they are itching to give the likes of Barneveld a place now he's "unretired" even though his ranking is in the 50s.

One idea could be to have an odd number in the league and the "leftover" player gets to play "Challenger" matches like was done when Anderson (I think??) had to withdraw. So this way, you could have the Dublin night featuring Keane Barry, the Berlin night feature Gabriel Clemens, a PL stop in Milton Keynes which you can work out the answer to yourself, but these would be one-off matches, not sticking the likes of Mardle in the PL with guaranteed prize money year after year just because he's a "name" with loud shirts and an entertaining walk-on but in crap form.
Three points I would make are as follows.

Firstly, given the announcement of the players in the PL has historically been done following the conclusion of the WC final(last year being an exception with 1 place being held over), if Fallon is selected it would be without her being a TC holder being part of the criteria. Personally think there is no chance of her getting a place.

Secondly, only the Top 4 in the OOM are entitled to a place, and always have been, so those outwith those places have no right to be aggrieved should they not be invited.

And lastly, despite my second point, I think it will be the Top 10 in the OOM at the conclusion of the WC who are the 2022 participants.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

DartsMadJohn wrote:Players who are there should be there purely on merit.
How do you define on merit?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Merit = Pulling the punters in and Sky making some lovely Fallon promos.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

It's an exhibition. Always has been, always will be. The players clearly value it highly. Hardly a surprise - there is a good swedge of cash available during what is usually an otherwise quiet last of the year for televised darts. But it is an exhibition. It exists to make money to help fund parts of the prize money for the tour.

If Sky or Hearn think that having Fallon in it will increase ticket sales, advertising revenue or/and sponsorship, she'll be in it.
fling
County Player

Post by fling »

meetthefeebles wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:53 pm It's an exhibition. Always has been, always will be. The players clearly value it highly. Hardly a surprise - there is a good swedge of cash available during what is usually an otherwise quiet last of the year for televised darts. But it is an exhibition. It exists to make money to help fund parts of the prize money for the tour.

If Sky or Hearn think that having Fallon in it will increase ticket sales, advertising revenue or/and sponsorship, she'll be in it.
With regards to ticket sales they have been on sale for months and each venue has sold very well with only rubbish seats left therefore the player line-up will have little bearing on sales.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

When is the first date of the PL that isnt in England? May be an issue crowd wise.
Big Jock Knew
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Ginge wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:19 am When is the first date of the PL that isnt in England? May be an issue crowd wise.
You can check here.
https://www.pdc.tv/tournaments/calendar?year=2022

Germany (Berlin) 24th Feb
Followed a day later by ET1 in Riesa.
They must both be at risk.

Netherlands (Rotterdam) 24th March.
The Dutch are still requiring all sport there to be behind closed doors. Guess the PDC will wait as long as possible before moving to U.K. or staying there with no crowd as that’s one of the largest venues in the PL, hoping rules get relaxed.

They also have ET2 Germany and ET3 Belgium in March.
Last edited by malcy93 on Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Suppose the easy option is to move a few of them to the English venues on the Wednesday before or Friday after the usual dates, where possible. Would mean the odd blank week, mind.
Big Jock Knew