The Portland Open - Inverness

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

The Portland Open - Inverness

Post by spaceman70 »

Was really hoping to get to this one, but unfortunately I have to look after the kids. :(

I know Fordy and and the Modus boys are going up Thursday and Friday but does anyone have a complete list of who is there?

Supposed to be a great weekend, with a good mix of players. :D
Ginge
International

Re: The Portland Open - Inverness

Post by Ginge »

spaceman70 wrote:Was really hoping to get to this one, but unfortunately I have to look after the kids. :(

I know Fordy and and the Modus boys are going up Thursday and Friday but does anyone have a complete list of who is there?

I assume that meant Montgomery wont be playing then :DDD: :DDD:
Big Jock Knew
checkmate
County Player

Post by checkmate »

spaceman70 wrote:Was really hoping to get to this one, but unfortunately I have to look after the kids. :(

shame your not going to make it , andy jenks, paul nicholson ,pecker, hendo, adam-smith neale, andy boulton a few lads coming up with paul godbeer from devon and a few scottish internationals. i might do a write up if i stay sober , unfortunatley thats why i never bothered with one for the granite city :DDD: :DDD: :Scots :Scots
The Fixer
On The Naughty Step

Post by The Fixer »

The Ginger Ninja wrote:

I assume that meant Montgomery wont be playing then :DDD: :DDD:
Not that Monty, but another might.

Jack tells me, after quick swoop over Inverness, that a few golfers have said they will head over to the darts on Sunday if they don't make the cut.

I know Westwood is a big fan 8-)
EKJamie
Steady Sixties

Post by EKJamie »

Found this online:

http://www.highland-news.co.uk/Sport/Ot ... 985444.htm

Published: 29/06/2011 20:00 - Updated: 29/06/2011 19:58

World stars return for Portland Open Festival

THE 15th Portland Open Darts Festival in Inverness has attracted another top class field of professionals for July 7-10.

Last year's champion, world number five, Australian Simon Whitlock returns to try and defend his title.

Also attending are former world champions Mark Webster, Andy Fordham and Ted Hankey.

Making his first appearance this year is former world number one Colin Lloyd, while this year's UK Open semi-finalist and former European Open winner Paul Nicholson also makes the trip to the Highland capital.

There will also be a first appearance for Aaron Monk, who is a previous winner of the world under-21s title.

Former world masters champion Robert Thornton will be in action, alongside Huntly's John Henderson, who has soared 50 places in the PDC world rankings to number 78 in his five months since turning professional.

Henderson will be competing in the world matchplay soon, which will be screened live on Sky, along with Webster, Nicolson and Lloyd.

Other players of note competing at the Portland are Derek Cunningham, who is Scottish masters champion and PDC pros Ian Whyte, Pecker Woods and Andy Jenkins.

The top locals confirmed are current Scottish internationalist Ewan Callender, who plays for Portland A, and last year's runner-up from City Taxis, Stevie Mitchell.

Many other players from throughout the Highlands and the north will also be out to try and win some of the £8,500 prize money.

Organiser Gordon Morrison said: "The quality of the seeds we have for this year's tournament is fantastic and the amazing thing is they all contacted me to ask to be entered, such is the popularity of the event.

"To have former world number one Colin Lloyd is a real coup. He heard fantastic reports from other players about the Portland Festival and he sees this as the ideal preparation for the world matchplay, which takes place the week after our tournament and sees Colin face John Henderson in Blackpool."

The festival gets started on Thursday, July 7 with the open four-person team event, which carries a prize fund of £1,000.

There's also £1,000 in the pot on the Friday night for the triples. Both events can be entered on the night, with both starting at 8.30pm.

On Saturday, it's the singles as Whitlock tries to defend his title, with the top prize of £2,000 up for grabs. Entries for this will also be taken on the day, with the action starting at 12.30pm.

The festival finishes on the Sunday with the pairs event, which starts at 2pm, with another £1,000 prize fund available.

Morrison added: "Spectators are welcome to come along and there should be the opportunity to mingle with the professionals, which makes this event unique, as it's the only tournament in the UK where this can happen."

Morison also confirmed that leading darts manufacturer Red Dragon Sports will be the main sponsors of this year's Portland Open.

He added that he and the Portland Club directors thank all the local businesses who have helped sponsor this year's competition.
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

EKJamie wrote:Found this online:

http://www.highland-news.co.uk/Sport/Ot ... 985444.htm

Published: 29/06/2011 20:00 - Updated: 29/06/2011 19:58

World stars return for Portland Open Festival

THE 15th Portland Open Darts Festival in Inverness has attracted another top class field of professionals for July 7-10.

Last year's champion, world number five, Australian Simon Whitlock returns to try and defend his title.

Also attending are former world champions Mark Webster, Andy Fordham and Ted Hankey.

Making his first appearance this year is former world number one Colin Lloyd, while this year's UK Open semi-finalist and former European Open winner Paul Nicholson also makes the trip to the Highland capital.

There will also be a first appearance for Aaron Monk, who is a previous winner of the world under-21s title.

Former world masters champion Robert Thornton will be in action, alongside Huntly's John Henderson, who has soared 50 places in the PDC world rankings to number 78 in his five months since turning professional.

Henderson will be competing in the world matchplay soon, which will be screened live on Sky, along with Webster, Nicolson and Lloyd.

Other players of note competing at the Portland are Derek Cunningham, who is Scottish masters champion and PDC pros Ian Whyte, Pecker Woods and Andy Jenkins.

The top locals confirmed are current Scottish internationalist Ewan Callender, who plays for Portland A, and last year's runner-up from City Taxis, Stevie Mitchell.

Many other players from throughout the Highlands and the north will also be out to try and win some of the £8,500 prize money.

Organiser Gordon Morrison said: "The quality of the seeds we have for this year's tournament is fantastic and the amazing thing is they all contacted me to ask to be entered, such is the popularity of the event.

"To have former world number one Colin Lloyd is a real coup. He heard fantastic reports from other players about the Portland Festival and he sees this as the ideal preparation for the world matchplay, which takes place the week after our tournament and sees Colin face John Henderson in Blackpool."

The festival gets started on Thursday, July 7 with the open four-person team event, which carries a prize fund of £1,000.

There's also £1,000 in the pot on the Friday night for the triples. Both events can be entered on the night, with both starting at 8.30pm.

On Saturday, it's the singles as Whitlock tries to defend his title, with the top prize of £2,000 up for grabs. Entries for this will also be taken on the day, with the action starting at 12.30pm.

The festival finishes on the Sunday with the pairs event, which starts at 2pm, with another £1,000 prize fund available.

Morrison added: "Spectators are welcome to come along and there should be the opportunity to mingle with the professionals, which makes this event unique, as it's the only tournament in the UK where this can happen."

Morison also confirmed that leading darts manufacturer Red Dragon Sports will be the main sponsors of this year's Portland Open.

He added that he and the Portland Club directors thank all the local businesses who have helped sponsor this year's competition.
not one mention of The Loon !!!!!!
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

He sponsored the event !
Wookiee
Pub Champion

Post by Wookiee »

Welsh Wayne wrote:not one mention of The Loon !!!!!!
That was my first thought as well!
The Suit
Pub Champion

Post by The Suit »

anyone able to post a few updates as this moves on?
Chris Mason
The Ton Club

Post by Chris Mason »

Great event, I will never forget Gordy handing me 35 £100 notes and I told him nice gag but he can stick the monopoly up his hole, it wasnt until I used one in the club I believed they were real.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Chris Mason wrote:Great event, I will never forget Gordy handing me 35 £100 notes and I told him nice gag but he can stick the monopoly up his hole, it wasnt until I used one in the club I believed they were real.

jaysus, thats some prize to win in a raffle!!!
Fraz
Steady Sixties

Post by Fraz »

I believe Mark Webster beat Robert Thornton 5-3 in the final to become the winner.
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Fraz wrote:I believe Mark Webster beat Robert Thornton 5-3 in the final to become the winner.

Hope that right :welsh :welsh
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Welsh Wayne wrote:
Fraz wrote:I believe Mark Webster beat Robert Thornton 5-3 in the final to become the winner.

Yes well done Webby, a regular reader of this fine forum. Looking good leading up to the Matchplay. :D
checkmate
County Player

Post by checkmate »

don't remember a lot about this to be honest , :CCDD: mark did indeed win the singles and got beat in the final of the pairs with rob thornton in a close match with colin lloyd and andy jenkins with lloyd taking out 121 on the bull with the other pair sitting on tops, the rest might come back to me one day and there was no sign of the loon thank f**k.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

checkmate wrote:don't remember a lot about this to be honest , :CCDD: mark did indeed win the singles and got beat in the final of the pairs with rob thornton in a close match with colin lloyd and andy jenkins with lloyd taking out 121 on the bull with the other pair sitting on tops, the rest might come back to me one day and there was no sign of the loon thank f**k.

We gonna have to sack you fella, this roving reporter gig just isnt for you!!! :DDD: :Scots
checkmate
County Player

Post by checkmate »

Dicie wrote:
checkmate wrote:don't remember a lot about this to be honest , :CCDD: mark did indeed win the singles and got beat in the final of the pairs with rob thornton in a close match with colin lloyd and andy jenkins with lloyd taking out 121 on the bull with the other pair sitting on tops, the rest might come back to me one day and there was no sign of the loon thank f**k.

We gonna have to sack you fella, this roving reporter gig just isnt for you!!! :DDD: :Scots
just the odd memory lapse ;) am not getting any younger :D
jma1984
The Ton Club

Post by jma1984 »

Good win for Webby, After Prem league disappointment he has bounced back well played really well in Bolton was unlucky v Wade
Proud member of the TSoD Sponsorship scheme of James Richardson 2011
Proud member of the TSoD Sponsorship Scheme of Richie Howson 2012
TSoD World Matchplay prediction champion 2011

Twitter - @Jayandrewswba
Albion,Darts,Boxing that is all
hang the dj
County Player

Post by hang the dj »

spaceman70 wrote:
Welsh Wayne wrote:

Yes well done Webby, a regular reader of this fine forum. Looking good leading up to the Matchplay. :D
Agreed, well done Webby, also good to see Thornton picking up some form over the past few months, shame he won't be at Blackpool
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

A good effort, something tells me a report by me might read like that :DDD: :DDD: