The crowd at the PDC world championship. serious questions.

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
devosteve
International

The crowd at the PDC world championship. serious questions.

Post by devosteve »

I guess we all have differnet views on the crowds at the WC. I don't mind the "stand up if you love the darts" etc. Don't like chants regarding nations etc. And i find it strange that whole groups of people have their backs to the stage singing to people at the back.

The ideal would be for there to be 3,000 dedicated darts fans who create a good atmosphere but also give good order at key moments. But we are not at that stage. It is a party atmosphere (wether we like it or not) it is not a small venue with people there JUST for the darts. My questions are more towards those who have been this year, i know Krispy has been a few times, and can give us 1st hand experience. I write as one who has only been to Blackpool and have absolutley loved it and have booked a caravan near Blackpool next year so i can go a few nights again. So here goes:

1. Party Atmosphere. Is it a good party atmosphere, full of fun, good for kids, great fancy dress, happy Christmas vibe etc or is there a negative undercurrent, a more drunken, football, nightclub atmosphere?

2. Darts Atmosphere. What is it like being there as a dedicated darts fan? Still exciting, great darting experience, no major distractions if you focus on the stage, actually better than it comes on over TV or is it actually not that good, annoying, people not interested around you?

3. Security Level. What is this like? (obviously if 3,000 kicked off at the same time no security would cope). If say a group of men kicked off against a group on another table would they cope? In other words does it feel safe? Or are people on here over exaggerating the PDC 'crowd problem'.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Stubby
County Player

Re: The crowd at the PDC world championship. serious questio

Post by Stubby »

My experiences from being to every major darts event (both codes) is that all the venues put to many tables on the floor. The constant moving to accomodate people going to loo and bar causes tension between groups. Take out one or two rows of tables and spread out and it'll be alot better.

When you're there it is difficult to get into a game especially longer format, which why group stages at slam is my favourite format. The chanting can make an atmosphere or ruin a good game. I was at wolves for Hankey v MVG and the atmosphere was electric but I was also there when Anastasia beat Vincent and I would say the crowd helped her to victory.

As for security, they can handle little scuffles and there's normally enough dart fans around to point out the trouble makers, if anything big went off they probably would struggle but I guess they wouldn't go in and would wait for the police as they do at football matches??
Kirk Bevins
Pub Champion

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Without specifically answering your individual questions, I will comment that although the crowd sometimes seem disinterested in darts, I've found that the general order of the crowd when someone is on a 9 dart finish is astounding. After the 7th dart goes in everyone cheers but then there tends to be immediate silence....the 8th dart goes in, cheering again and then silence and the odd "go on!". To orchestrate that with thousands of drunken people is impressive and it goes to show that even if you're not into the darts you follow suit that if everyone else goes quiet, you copy...
GazzaScotland
Steady Sixties

Post by GazzaScotland »

If they are going to have a £1 Million prize pot, its one of the things they need to put up with for better and worse.
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

I've been to PL twice this year, the Matchplay and the Worlds.

There was one helmet at the 02 but finals night at Wembley was pretty good from where I was sitting.

Loved the Matchplay, great party atmosphere but stuffed with darts fans.

The Worlds - went opening night - cracking atmosphere for an opening night - from experience lots of office parties from the City, many of whom don't know much about darts but just fancy a night out and some bevvies - I been with groups of people like this and love the fact that they see a night at the darts as a good craic - I know a group of 12 who went last year and returned this year because they had a great time.

Overall, have rarely seen any innapropriate behaviour - maybe I've just been lucky.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

toj
Brass Darts

How long will it be before it kicks off in a PDC Event?

Post by toj »

The majority of the crowd in the World Championships have been an absolute disgrace in the last few days. The Premier League crowd next time will probably be even worse at some of the venues.

These football chants by pissed up wankers shouting to each other across the room don't give a flying toss about the darts and in my opinion we will see a full on fight in the crowd at some point in the near future. It it going to take something like that happening before the authorities put some rules in place? Barry Hearn has done wonders for darts, no doubt about it. But it's his responsibility to do something about the crowd antics which are on the verge of being out of control.

It's now gone from the crowd having a bit of banter with the players and having a good time to getting a bit nasty and like I said it's turning into a football crowd atmosphere.
oche balboa
International

Re: How long will it be before it kicks off in a PDC Event?

Post by oche balboa »

It will one day.... maybe in Scotland
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

toj wrote:The majority of the crowd in the World Championships have been an absolute disgrace in the last few days. The Premier League crowd next time will probably be even worse at some of the venues.

These football chants by pissed up winkers shouting to each other across the room don't give a flying toss about the darts and in my opinion we will see a full on fight in the crowd at some point in the near future. It it going to take something like that happening before the authorities put some rules in place? Barry Hearn has done wonders for darts, no doubt about it. But it's his responsibility to do something about the crowd antics which are on the verge of being out of control.

It's now gone from the crowd having a bit of banter with the players and having a good time to getting a bit nasty and like I said it's turning into a football crowd atmosphere.
Would you be offended if I added this comment to the existing thread on the crowds?

Otherwise we'll have three threads chatting about the same thing.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Slugger
Brass Darts

Post by Slugger »

toj wrote:The majority of the crowd in the World Championships have been an absolute disgrace in the last few days. The Premier League crowd next time will probably be even worse at some of the venues.

These football chants by pissed up winkers shouting to each other across the room don't give a flying toss about the darts and in my opinion we will see a full on fight in the crowd at some point in the near future. It it going to take something like that happening before the authorities put some rules in place? Barry Hearn has done wonders for darts, no doubt about it. But it's his responsibility to do something about the crowd antics which are on the verge of being out of control.

Already did a few days ago, cannot remeber the match but u saw it in the back ground to the left of the players
Darts used PumaShotDarts Custom 25 Gram

Highest Checkout 170

Least Darts 9, 180,180,141 x9
Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

I've been in a crowd when it has kicked off, usually football related which is the sad thing about it.
toj
Brass Darts

Post by toj »

Adrian1969 wrote:

Would you be offended if I added this comment to the existing thread on the crowds?

Otherwise we'll have three threads chatting about the same thing
Go ahead, my bad I should have noticed it.
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

toj wrote:
Adrian1969 wrote:

Otherwise we'll have three threads chatting about the same thing
Go ahead, my bad I should have noticed it.
No worries bud - I've merged it.

First bit of actually admin I've done on this site for months. :)

Mr Glass
County Player

Post by Mr Glass »

Stubby wrote:I've been in a crowd when it has kicked off, usually football related which is the sad thing about it.
Are grown men still fighting about football?

Quite sad indeed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

That would never happen at Lakeside.
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Mr Glass
County Player

Post by Mr Glass »

Paddy McGinty wrote:Image
2/10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:Image
2/10
I think you're being quite kind.

Krispy
County Player

Post by Krispy »

good question!

I'm actually going to write a longer article which covers the crowds again... but..

I'm torn over this at the moment. People are going for a good time - but in any big crowd, you get nutters and n0bs. As a Derren Brown program showed the other day, a big crowd makes you part of a pack, more anonymous, so even 'normal' people can turn nasty, and do things they'd never do if they were on their own. This year we've seen a build up in friction between the 'tiered/cheap' seating, and the tables.. to the point on one night pints and pints rained down on the people sitting in the tables which included families and children. Security did act, and managed to throw out the entire left bank of tiered seating! (I was told later that they never wanted to have to do that again!). some of those thrown out continued fighting outside. I was told it was a very nasty atmosphere in there that night.

when i was there watching JP (well all 3 matches that night) it felt fine - some 'banter' between the two sets of seating, but nothing too nasty from what I could see.

The fact that many people don't appear to be watching is a different matter. Something I can't understand at all.

If it kicked of in a major way (maybe two big sets of footy fans) - i'm not sure if security could cope - my guess is they'd protect the stage - get players off.. lock / hold doors until the police turned up, while sky pretended the power had been cut.

What annoys me is that Sky ignore the trouble - but bang on about how it's a big 'party'. by not confronting it (as they had to in football), they appear to encourage "anything goes"... which will only lead to more and more trouble, as thugs gravitate to the sport. I hope they grab the bull by the horns and start putting across a message that OTT behaviour won't be tolerated!
Webmaster and editor/writer of the PDC fansite; Darts, Beers & Cheers!, and Exhibition and Open Tournament database.
Play (terribly) for Stilton Country Club.
checkmate
County Player

Post by checkmate »

oche balboa wrote:It will one day.... maybe in Scotland
twat
Wildart
Steady Sixties

Post by Wildart »

After going to several live Darts events over the past several years I have now stopped attending because
of the crowds that these events are now generating. I've been to a couple of premier league nights were
I have come home covered in beer which was thrown from someone in the upper tier. I have also had the
problem with people on the table in front just standing up all the time and not watching any of the darts
but completely blocking our view of the screens in the front.

The PDC has moved darts to another level but it's brought with it a group of people who see it as a night
out on the drink and wearing a silly costume and who don't really care what's going on in front of them, and
don't care about spoiling other peoples enjoyment who do wanna actually enjoy the action.