Heard a rumour? - Post it here
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Speedy Hire News

Post by spaceman70 »

Speedy Extends PDC Involvement
05 Mar 2012
SPEEDY have extended their title sponsorship of the Speedy Hire UK Open and have also become an official partner of the Professional Darts Corporation.

Speedy, a leading provider of equipment and support services to construction, manufacturing, industrial, rail and related industries, enjoyed a highly successful sponsorship of last year's UK Open in Bolton.

Their innovative sponsorship included four qualifying events held in Speedy Hire centres around the UK which produced 32 amateur qualifiers for the televised finals in Bolton, where fans were able to not only enjoy the event live at the Reebok Stadium but also online through special Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages.

In addition to extending their sponsorship of the 2012 Speedy Hire UK Open, the company have become an official partner of the PDC, which will give them exposure at all televised tournaments.

"We thoroughly enjoyed our partnership with Speedy in 2011 and are delighted to be extending our relationship through both their title sponsorship of the UK Open and their associate sponsorship of our other major televised tournaments," said PDC Chairman Barry Hearn.

"They brought a new dimension to the Speedy Hire UK Open last year, both with their innovative qualifying tournaments and their online interaction with darts fans around the world, and we look forward to developing that further during 2012."

Tens of thousands of fans worldwide were able to interact with players, including eventual champion James Wade, during the Speedy Hire UK Open last June - through the "SpeedyHireDarts" pages on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

"Our 2011 UK Open sponsorship was one of the most memorable and rewarding projects we worked on," said Speedy's group marketing director Steve McIntyre.

"It generated millions of pounds worth of equivalent advertising value and also reached a circulation figure that we barely thought possible.

"Having all of the knowledge and experience of activating the sponsorship in 2011 means we are confident of making our 2012 partnership even more successful and memorable for everyone involved."

Speedy plan to extend the number of venues hosting Speedy Hire Qualifiers for the UK Open this year, with details currently being finalised for the events, which will produce 32 qualifiers for the televised finals.

Four players will win through from Speedy Hire Qualifiers in Dartford, Brighton, Inverness, Leeds, Stoke and Cardiff during April, with a further eight to come from an event at Haydock in the final event on May 4.

The Speedy Hire Qualifiers will be held on the following dates:
Wednesday April 4 - Dartford
Thursday April 5 - Brighton
Wednesday April 11 - Inverness
Thursday April 12 - Leeds
Friday April 13 - Stoke
Thursday April 19 - Cardiff
Friday May 4 - Haydock
Full details of how to enter and format will be announced once finalised.

In addition, 32 players will win through Rileys Qualifiers to compete in Bolton, with knockout events to be staged in Rileys Darts Zones during April and May. Details will be announced shortly for the Rileys Qualifiers.

Tickets are expected to go on sale at the start of April. Full information will be announced in due course once dates are confirmed.
Booji Boy
International

Re: Speedy Hire News

Post by Booji Boy »

Great news.

I will have to make sure I have a survey in Cardiff on the 19th.
Wildart
Steady Sixties

Post by Wildart »

How did the Speedy Hire Qualifiers format work last year ? I take it these take place
in actual Speedy Hire Shops, Warehouses ?
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Wildart wrote:How did the Speedy Hire Qualifiers format work last year ? I take it these take place
They took place at their venues last year.

The format last year was 2 groups (Speedy Employees in 1 group and darts players in another group)

Each player had 15 darts at the main board (no practice darts) and the 4 highest scores played a 1 leg shootout so 2 players from each group progressed to the UK Open proper.

From the above there doesn't seem to be a separate pool for employees so no easy bets at the main event it seems.

Who knows what the format will be this year.
Wildart
Steady Sixties

Post by Wildart »

spaceman70 wrote:
Wildart wrote:How did the Speedy Hire Qualifiers format work last year ? I take it these take place
They took place at their venues last year.

The format last year was 2 groups (Speedy Employees in 1 group and darts players in another group)

Each player had 15 darts at the main board (no practice darts) and the 4 highest scores played a 1 leg shootout so 2 players from each group progressed to the UK Open proper.

From the above there doesn't seem to be a separate pool for employees so no easy bets at the main event it seems.

Who knows what the format will be this year.
The event at Haydock sounds as though it's gonna be a bit different from the rest with 8 going through from there
instead of 4... Maybe a different or longer format, who knows
Last edited by Wildart on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

Cant wait to give William Hill a bashing again
JFT97
Dave Burrill
Brass Darts

Post by Dave Burrill »

Wot no Bristol :-(
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

So who's going to be having a crack at these then?
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

In no way, should there be 16 places going to "Speedy Employees" - 1 at the most for marketing purposes.
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

spaceman70 wrote:So who's going to be having a crack at these then?

You and Wils got this gig again Dave ?
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Welsh Wayne wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:So who's going to be having a crack at these then?

You and Wils got this gig again Dave ?
I've not had a call Wayne.
SHAKIN
Brass Darts

Post by SHAKIN »

Deffo going to Dartford one.
Maverick
Superleague Player

Post by Maverick »

Will be having my usual go at the Rileys ones and may go to the Leeds one for speedy!!
Robert Mitchell 17th March 1938 - 8th September 2018 Rest in Peace Dad , no more pain xxx
Krispy
County Player

Post by Krispy »

Dannyboy wrote:In no way, should there be 16 places going to "Speedy Employees" - 1 at the most for marketing purposes.
It doesn't say there will be this time. doesn't it just say 32 from their qualifiers.. doesn't mention a split between 'public' and employees?

OK it doesn't say that won't happen before I'm corrected :D

I've had my ear to the ground and have heard they will probably not be looking to put so many of their own staff through this time - so maybe they are open qualifiers - any staff who get through do so on merit?
Webmaster and editor/writer of the PDC fansite; Darts, Beers & Cheers!, and Exhibition and Open Tournament database.
Play (terribly) for Stilton Country Club.
Wildart
Steady Sixties

Post by Wildart »

Krispy wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:In no way, should there be 16 places going to "Speedy Employees" - 1 at the most for marketing purposes.
It doesn't say there will be this time. doesn't it just say 32 from their qualifiers.. doesn't mention a split between 'public' and employees?

I've had my ear to the ground and have heard they will probably not be looking to put so many of their own staff through this time - so maybe they are open qualifiers - any staff who get through do so on merit?
Do any anoraks out there know, did any of the staff that got through last year actually win a match or a leg even ? surely
one must have done okay if so many got through.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Wildart wrote:
Krispy wrote:

Do any anoraks out there know, did any of the staff that got through last year actually win a match or a leg even ? surely
one must have done okay if so many got through.
I believe one lost a match 4-3 after being 3-1 up, that was as close as any of them got to winning a match.
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

That was Martin Perring, who is now an associate member after Q-school

The lad that played Devon P was also an ok player - think he won a couple of legs and had us all sweating as that was the last of the 13 leg acca
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Rout wrote:That was Martin Perring, who is now an associate member after Q-school

The lad that played Devon P was also an ok player - think he won a couple of legs and had us all sweating as that was the last of the 13 leg acca
I would guess the bookies will be looking a lot closer at the odds this year?
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

nookie
Superleague Player

Post by nookie »

Rout wrote:That was Martin Perring, who is now an associate member after Q-school

that would be stuart white oxfordshire county a player, and now an associate member and played the uk open at crawley last week, kn ocked alex roy out of the gsod qualifiers and was 3-0 up on denis ovens before losing 4-3
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

yes...Martin Perring qualified as Speedy staff last year and got a bit annoyed when everybody on here stated that ALL Speedy staff qualifiers would be useless !!....he actually played well at Bolton and then picked up a few points at QS this year as well and is now playing in the Regionals as an associate member..
Apart from him i think most were useless though :D ....at least by the standards required at that level..