Bolton Blues

All your experiences in one place
The Owl
Steady Sixties

Bolton Blues

Post by The Owl »

Well another UK Open nearly over, Sunday morning and I'm looking forward to the quarters later on. Would really love to see Chiz or Wez in the final but we will have to wait and see.

My Uk Open started Thursday night, which was spent with my good lady mingling with the crowd and watching the games, and I must say there was some great matches, the standard was so high. Me and Justin was talking and both so glad we didnt have to play till Friday.

The match of the night, without doubt was Wadey v Bunting, luckily it was on the main stage and everyone got to see it, reckon Stephen will try for the tour next year and what a success he would be I'm sure you would all agree.
I watched James and Jims game on the stage, not really cheering for either cos they are both good friends, I admit to secretly wanting James to take it because me and Jim are more in contention with each other on the OOM's, unfortunately Shabba didnt get going like he can and Mr Walker took the match.
The draw was what we had been looking forward to and the long evening came to an end and the table set out on the Main stage.

As last year I was almost last out, Number 29 Richie Howson v Number 10 Andy Hamilton.

Friday came and preparation had to be spot on for my game with the Hammer. I must admit my form had dipped in the two weeks leading up to Bolton, but kept working hard trying to get some consistancy back and still felt confident it would happen when needed.

My warm up and practice in the players lounge couldn't of gone better, my accuracy was second to none, cant think when i had hit as many 180's and on three seperate occasions i missed doubles for nines, Andy was going to have to watch out The Owl was on fire.

We were last on board 7 and i made my way down to the board around 9.45 I think.
My nine warm up darts felt good and I won the bull, first three darts 140. :D

I won the first leg and Andy won the second after i missed double top to go 2-0, I could of won the third but double top let me down again and i was broken early, something i could of done without. After that I played OK, a bit up and down but Andy showed why he is one of the best in the world, not missing a double and scoring like he can.
I did have afew chances on big finishes, double top for a 114, bullseye for a 122 and tops for a 116 but none went in and the hammer capitalized, I should have broke back to go 4-3 but never and the rest was history. 9-2 to Andy.
Having 10 drunken Hamilton fans Screaming "IT'S HAMMERTIME' in your ear was quite amusing while your playing but thats the UK Open and why we love it. :DDD:

The R.S.P.B was called out after an Owl had been bashed by a Hammer so someone said to me later...lol

I had played some great great darts in the weeks previous to get in the last 32 in the OOM and shouldnt forget that but you then come in on the Friday and get beat in your first game which makes you feel like you havent really been involved, but will try again next year and see if i can do better.
The UK Open is great event and Bolton is a fantastic venue and wouldnt want to miss out on it.

Form still a bit up and down but really looking forward to Birmingham and knowing how important qualification for the Third Euro tour is on Friday will be working none stop on the board this week getting myself prepared.

Thanks for all the support you guys have given me up to now, great to know that people believe in what you are doing :D

The OWL.........

Oh Yeah.. Good luck Wesley and Chizzy, two of the best in the world and they, along with Pipey, are what I'm aiming to get near..
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Proud Sonsored Player of TSOD
Follow me on Twitter @richieHowson180 and richiehowson.co.uk
WCDPA
International

Re: Bolton Blues

Post by WCDPA »

Nice write up Richie ! Great to see despite the many hours of practise I know you do! you still fnd time to be such an active member on the forum.
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Thanks for posting Richie.

I guess Bolton is all part of the experience and getting used to the PDC.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Thanks for the write up Richie, couple of those big finishes had gone in you never know. :)
hang the dj
County Player

Post by hang the dj »

Still an incredible achievement to get to the stage you did, also no luck in drawing a player currently ranked no 7 in the world, just shows how much luck of the draw comes into play at Bolton