2017 PDC Grand Slam of Darts, Wolverhampton 11-19 November

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: 2017 PDC Grand Slam of Darts, Wolverhampton 11-19 November

Post by Ginge »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
ifm wrote:
Ginge wrote:Also the contracts are reportedly stating that prize money is forfeited if you attend Q School.

So if you get given a card and dont attend, this wont apply will it? ;)
One would assume the contracts specifically mention associate membership as does the eligibility rule.
That's an awfully brave thing to do where the BDO board are concerned
The BDO assumed they could sell 240 tickets a session at a cinema in Wales, how wrong they were....
Big Jock Knew
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

dartsfacts wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:Why would the PDC intervene one way or the other.
They won't.
Yet they did for Bunting when, in my opinion, the BDO was not as reliant on one player as they are now.
dartsfacts
Superleague Player

Post by dartsfacts »

ifm wrote:
Ginge wrote:Also the contracts are reportedly stating that prize money is forfeited if you attend Q School.

One would assume the contracts specifically mention associate membership as does the eligibility rule.
You are assuming aren't you?
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
ifm wrote:

The BDO assumed they could sell 240 tickets a session at a cinema in Wales, how wrong they were....
I wouldn't have thought so.
Anyway I'm sure your source will be firing the contract over to you presently.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
dartsfacts
Superleague Player

Post by dartsfacts »

Ecky Thump wrote:
dartsfacts wrote:
They won't.
Yet they did for Bunting when, in my opinion, the BDO was not as reliant on one player as they are now.
So
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

dartsfacts wrote:
ifm wrote:

It's a solid assumption as they already have rules in place with that specific wording.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
dartsfacts
Superleague Player

Post by dartsfacts »

ifm wrote:
dartsfacts wrote:
ifm wrote:

It's a solid assumption as they already have rules in place with that specific wording.
So a guess then?
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

dartsfacts wrote:
ifm wrote:
dartsfacts wrote:
ifm wrote:

So a guess then?
Well, derr

Madsocks
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
ifm wrote:

Not brave but stupid and insular, if it is a prize for winning the event then they have to pay it, if they try and restrict where he plays after the event they are breaking EU laws and will be found out.
They could possibly put a clause to say that the tournament officially ends the day after Q school entries close and the prize money will be paid then to any eligible player, i.e. not a PDPA member of associate member and by entering any competition run by a rival organisation he would make himself ineligible. Risky strategy though because it could still be argued that they are restricting his trade options.

If I am correct in my assumptions, there is nowhere that says you have to enter Q school or any competition with your real name so I'd enter as Gerry Dunnant and after the date on the BDO contract expires change it with the PDC, devious but no more devious than what the BDO are trying to do.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
dartsfacts
Superleague Player

Post by dartsfacts »

nikkiboy wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
ifm wrote:

Not brave but stupid and insular, if it is a prize for winning the event then they have to pay it, if they try and restrict where he plays after the event they are breaking EU laws and will be found out.
They could possibly put a clause to say that the tournament officially ends the day after Q school entries close and the prize money will be paid then to any eligible player, i.e. not a PDPA member of associate member and by entering any competition run by a rival organisation he would make himself ineligible. Risky strategy though because it could still be argued that they are restricting his trade options.

If I am correct in my assumptions, there is nowhere that says you have to enter Q school or any competition with your real name so I'd enter as Gerry Dunnant and after the date on the BDO contract expires change it with the PDC, devious but no more devious than what the BDO are trying to do.
He could also reach the semi-final then refuse to play unless they tear the contract up. His management team should already be contacting Channel 4 informing them of this possibility.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Its a farce and would not hold up in any court, the problem is the willingness to do it. The winners cheque might make it worthwhile if you can get a no win no fee arrangement with a legal firm in return for a high % of the winnings.

also, if you have to sign it once you reach the semi's then its clearly being signed under 'duress' but I assume they have to sign it up front now?
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

:3some: to
dartsfacts wrote:
Ecky Thump wrote:
dartsfacts wrote:
They won't.
So
Why not do it for Durrant just to fuck with the BDO, they shoehorned Jeff Smith and Ratajski in to the World's so why not do this?
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

and whats Noppert doing this year? He is in the same position as he want to move?
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

If Durrant wins Lakeside again it is guaranteed that the PDC will give him a tour card, regardless of what Hearn says.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

ifm wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote:
Murphio wrote:Glenn ought to have a word with Ian. He is an expert in the lakeside contract and how worthless it is. He can brief Glenn in how exactly he can register for the q school deadline of January 16 while still ensuring his prize money for an event which ends on January 14. The Oracle might want to bear in mind, though, the PDC deliberately held back the announcement of Bunting's tour card until after his cheque had cleared... something the PDC no longer does.
Woot?
Have you been drinking again?
Some points:-

The lakeside had/has 2 contracts, 1 (or the first part) covers the normal playing rules, sponsor badges, conduct etc. for the competition, the 2nd (or second part) says that if you get to the semi then you must defend your title the following year or forfeit your winnings.

The PDC no longer offers tour cards because it was pretty embarrassing being turned down repeatedly.

The BDO and PDC agreed that a player cannot secretly enter q school in order to negate the second part/second contract.

Bunting took the money before announcing he was switching which cannot happen again (see above), the BDO decided it would be too expensive to pursue their money after consultation with lawyers.

There will be some sort of standoff if Durrant gets to the semi, as with Hankey, personally i think he'd fold as he's not the confrontational type but his management will step in and they won't.
The problem is he has to do q school and there is no guarantee there, he doesn't want to burn his bridges.

I see trouble ahead.
Yes. I have been drinking.
You should have stopped there as the rest is just an incoherent mumble, well a repeat of what i said at least.
Just to recap the point you simply cannot grasp, the player still has the choice, he takes the money and doesn't go to q school or he goes to q school and forfeits the money, the simple (flipping obvious) fact that he has this choice means he has free will.
Right, so as expected we are now back to the nonsensical circular semantics of 'no one forces them to sign the contract in the first place'. The fact remains that if Glenn Durrant wins Lakeside he will be prevented from joining Q school. AGAINST HIS WILL. As I told you in our exchange two weeks ago; he cannot do what Bunting did and simply ignore the contract because the goalposts have moved.

The automatic Tour Card has been removed and entrants are required to sign up for Q School before they get their Lakeside money. This has nothing whatsoever do do with 'embarrassment'. It was an agreement reached between the BDO and PDC that the latter would no longer interfere with the Lakeside contract. I verified this with Barry Hearn and Matt Porter on Twitter.
Last edited by Murphio on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Booji Boy wrote:If Durrant wins Lakeside again it is guaranteed that the PDC will give him a tour card, regardless of what Hearn says.
really? Hearn has been quite insistent and consistent. I would be very suprised if Hearn went back on something he again reiterated this week.
And one thing is for sure - its not 'guaranteed'!!
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Ecky Thump wrote::3some: to
dartsfacts wrote:
Ecky Thump wrote:
dartsfacts wrote:
They won't.
So
Why not do it for Durrant just to fek with the BDO, they shoehorned Jeff Smith and Ratajski in to the World's so why not do this?
They did not break any rules in doing that, least of all their own. Do you honestly think they care about sticking two fingers up at the BDO anymore? Better to ignore them unless they add to the tournament, in which case use them. Smith and Ratajski strengthen the World Championships. Durrant strengthens the Grand Slam as a BDO player far more than he would as a PDC player.

Hearn has said many times that Q-School is the only way to get a card - I think he would see any fudging of that as a sign of weakness, not strength
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Hearn also said he wouldnt mess with the format of the snooker UK championship.

#JustSaying
Big Jock Knew
dartsfacts
Superleague Player

Post by dartsfacts »

From a solicitor

"The main legal principal where a restraint of trade is applied is thus, the plaintiff must prove that there is an obligation imposed on him which prevents him from earning or limiting his ability to earn a living at his chosen occupation"

Given the PDC's £14,000,000 tour, sponsorship opportunities due to TV exposure, Its safe to say that the Lakeside contract will limit Durrant earning potential and he would win any court case should it get that off. I am sure his management team will be on the ball anyway and Durrant knows this.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Skewball wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:If Durrant wins Lakeside again it is guaranteed that the PDC will give him a tour card, regardless of what Hearn says.
really? Hearn has been quite insistent and consistent. I would be very suprised if Hearn went back on something he again reiterated this week.
And one thing is for sure - its not 'guaranteed'!!
There is no way the PDC are not taking the opportunity to have the lakeside champion (if he wins it again) move over to them. No chance on this earth.

The Pdc is not all about Hearn, despite what people would have you believe. Matt Porter has a huge influence on what goes on.