2018 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-14th December 2017- 1st January 2018

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
WizardofozFan
County Player

Re: 2018 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-14th December 2017- 1st January 2018

Post by WizardofozFan »

Congratulations to Rob Cross, a well deserved winner. Looks capable of winning several tournaments after the 2017 he's had. Pleased for him and his family.

A high-quality final, Taylor just unable to keep up with the relentlessness of Voltage from start to finish.

Credit to Phil at the end, came across very well and didn't hog the microphone too long. Thought he could have stayed in front of his adoring public for longer to be honest, he deserves so much adulation. I'd quite like to see him do some selected punditry coverage at one or two events in the calendar, and being on the stage will let the fans continue to see him and adore him. Wouldn't do any harm.
Paddy McGinty
International

Re: 2018 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-14th December 2017- 1st January 2018

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Dannyboy wrote:The best tournament of all time on so many levels.
You are having a laugh, one out of the two semis was great but the other was poor and the final was very one sided, not a great tourney at all, the reason why people think so is they love seeing Taylor get battered, if Cross had been playing Wade or someone then the final which ended up at 7-2 would of been thought of as mediocre.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

Can we also take a minute to remember what an unbelievable World Championships this has been. So many epic contests, the standards through the roof, and some magical moments from the likes of Paul Lim, Jamie Lewis, Dimitri, van der Voort, MVG, Taylor & of course Cross.

Roll on the Masters in a few weeks!
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

WizardofozFan wrote:Can we also take a minute to remember what an unbelievable World Championships this has been. So many epic contests, the standards through the roof, and some magical moments from the likes of Paul Lim, Jamie Lewis, Dimitri, van der Voort, MVG, Taylor & of course Cross.

Lakeside first :grin:
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

WizardofozFan wrote:Can we also take a minute to remember what an unbelievable World Championships this has been. So many epic contests, the standards through the roof, and some magical moments from the likes of Paul Lim, Jamie Lewis, Dimitri, van der Voort, MVG, Taylor & of course Cross.

Arn't you forgetting something?
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Paddy McGinty wrote:

Paddy too late, there
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

Should be a good few "lakeside classics" coming up over the next couple of weeks.
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

Also looking forward to Lakeside, but will be missing lots of it through work & lack of BT.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

I will watch Lakeside BUT it cannot live up to what we’ve had at Ally Pally and sadly I fear for many reasons we could have a very strange and disappointing Lakeside but we shall see...
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Paddy McGinty wrote:

To be fair Paddy that tournament has left me so lukewarm towards Lakeside...and Lakeside was always my main event years ago..I've been there and watched every one since day one and then Jollees and all that...

I'll watch it because it's Lakeside but to be honest it wouldn't bother me if it disappeared off TV completely now....it's a shadow of its past and opens itself up to ridicule so close to this event just gone
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

trotter wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:

To be fair Paddy that tournament has left me so lukewarm towards Lakeside...and Lakeside was always my main event years ago..I've been there and watched every one since day one and then Jollees and all that...

I'll watch it because it's Lakeside but to be honest it wouldn't bother me if it disappeared off TV completely now....it's a shadow of its past and opens itself up to ridicule so close to this event just gone
And it hasn't started yet or have you watched a single dart thrown.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

ChrisW wrote:
trotter wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:

I've watched every BDO champs so far..and attended some.......it's gone downhill nearly every year and it won't compete with what we've just seen.....I feel confident in saying that...
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

Maybe not in averages or 180's or big checkouts but in excitement and entertainment it will be at least as good.

I always lose interest in the PDc after a few rounds but Lakeside is the one tournament i can watch from start to finish. Might even get there for the first time in a few years this time round.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

It won't be as good...it seems that you have to have the PC argument nowadays and say that Lakeside is still the pinnacle of darts...that's it's the true competition and all that ..and that you're only a real darts fan if you worship Lakeside and all it comes with....what bollix

I'll watch it..I'll enjoy it....but it's not the event it was...and it declines further each year.....but if you say that then obviously you cannot be a true darts fan at all..
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Trotter talking shite it hasnt gone downhill every year. Its remained the same consistant level the Tournament ave with be between 88-90 and there will be some sheer entertainment inbetween

Yes PDC is better as its more professional, We all know that, But that doesnt mean you cant have good quality & Entertainment

Its your choice Trotter you can be a snob and a bigot. But i'm looking forward to Lakeside
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

trotter wrote:
ChrisW wrote:
trotter wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:

I've watched every BDO champs so far..and attended some.......it's gone downhill nearly every year and it won't compete with what we've just seen.....I feel confident in saying that...
Didn't everyone agree last year was a great lakeside?
As for the Ally Pally. We saw a great story with Cross but for the rest it was not spectacular.
1st Round we had 25/32 games were 3-1 or 3-0
2nd Round 11/16 games were 4-1 or 4-0
3rd Round 6/8 games were 4-1 or 4-0
Not the most thrilling World Championship.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Who cares about averages remaining the same..quality wise I'd say a lot of the matches are higher than previous Lakesides...it's not a quality issue for me....it's just the whole event itself is lacklustre compared to Lakesides past....maybe it is the massive steps the PDC have taken.....maybe it's plenty of factors but the event doesn't do it for me like it used to.....but it's only my opinion..
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

You cannot beat the Worlds we have just witnessed. Standard, moments of magic, great matches, professionally done on a grand scale from Sky Sports. Brilliant sporting entertainment, Paul Lim's story, Munch beating Lewis, the quarter-finals and second semi-final were particular standouts.

Looking forward to seeing what I can of Lakeside, but not expecting anything near what I've seen since mid December, sad it's all over really.
Rafaldarts180
Steady Sixties

Post by Rafaldarts180 »

Yes, that was great tournament with many fantastic stories. Retiring Taylor was the number one, but also debutant winning the title, youngsters coming through and wonderful performance by Lim highlights this Worlds. Shame that we didn't see nine dart finish but it doesn't change much. Brilliant tourney.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

I see Ed is on the forum so it's worth mentioning these boards are still dodgy. Cross had a dart bounce straight out of the treble 20 like it hit a concrete wall.