The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Skewball
International

Re: The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Post by Skewball »

Right, so this is the position:
Des has been clearly waiting on some revenue to come I this week (probably Eurosport from what I have heard). He will pay players tomorrow or next day and yes, it will be a higher amount, quite a bit more, maybe over £100k in total.

But then he really will have drained the last of the piggy bank and the BDO really is now living day to day with no money - with no more big amounts to come in from Eurosport etc.
To even to attempt to run the WDT sponsors are required. But crucially by using Eurosport money now to pay the players Des gets 3 or 4 months runway with very little expenditure required. He just needs to new money in to run each comp that comes along.

So next stop for the BDO survival bus is WDT discussion............
Paddy McGinty
International

Re: The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Skewball wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:57 pm Right, so this is the position:
Des has been clearly waiting on some revenue to come I this week (probably Eurosport from what I have heard). He will pay players tomorrow or next day and yes, it will be a higher amount, quite a bit more, maybe over £100k in total.

But then he really will have drained the last of the piggy bank and the BDO really is now living day to day with no money - with no more big amounts to come in from Eurosport etc.
To even to attempt to run the WDT sponsors are required. But crucially by using Eurosport money now to pay the players Des gets 3 or 4 months runway with very little expenditure required. He just needs to new money in to run each comp that comes along.

Where's the 600K Skewy? I know a bits been spent on Comps but where is the rest gone?
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Begs the question why pay them more then, he told them 4 weeks ago what they are getting. Stick to that and use the rest sensibly.
Big Jock Knew
Baron Von Marlon
Brass Darts

Post by Baron Von Marlon »

Ginge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:00 pm Begs the question why pay them more then, he told them 4 weeks ago what they are getting. Stick to that and use the rest sensibly.
Because he wants to be soon as a saviour/hero?
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Paddy McGinty wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:00 pm
Skewball wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:57 pm Right, so this is the position:

Where's the 600K Skewy? I know a bits been spent on Comps but where is the rest gone?
I will tell you tonight :)
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:02 pm
Ginge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:00 pm Begs the question why pay them more then, he told them 4 weeks ago what they are getting. Stick to that and use the rest sensibly.
Because he wants to be soon as a saviour/hero?
I agree with you both. Paying more is completely unnecessary, keep back a war chest for later in the year.
But Des is a a narcissist so wants to white knight it.
Baron Von Marlon
Brass Darts

Post by Baron Von Marlon »

And if it's true that there is no money left, it could allow him to resign on a positive and let someone else take the fall
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:07 pm And if it's true that there is no money left, it could allow him to resign on a positive and let someone else take the fall
Resign on a positive? :DDD: :DDD:

There is no fall........
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:54 pm I assume you remembered what that was ffs. £127k to the men (23/10/5/4/3/2/1.5), £26.5k to the women (10/4.5/2/1/0.5)
I'm hearing from a normally quite reliable source that they're getting some money from Eurosport.

Around 130K going straight in the pot to make the total about £282K

This way they hope to look like heroes pulling it out of the fire.

If this is true (and I remain sceptical) it's still a huge deflection from the farce that has gone before and a huge "look at me" moment for Des and not what they should do with such a windfall.

Just pay out the revised amount and put the rest into shoring up the BDO and making sure future events happen.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Paid in the "next few days" apparently and known about by the committee since the Indigoat was on I'm now hearing.
Last edited by Deleted User on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

So pay out a bigger amount and hope everyone forgives him. Absolutely pathetic stuff.
Big Jock Knew
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:12 pm So pay out a bigger amount and hope everyone forgives him. Absolutely pathetic stuff.
Seems to be the plan.

Why this couldn't have been announced at the time one can only speculate.

I'll believe it when I see it. But source is right more often than wrong.
Last edited by Deleted User on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:14 pm
Ginge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:12 pm So pay out a bigger amount and hope everyone forgives him. Absolutely pathetic stuff.
Seems to be the plan.

Why this couldn't have been announced at the time one can only speculate.
Waiting 4 weeks make it look like he is a bigger saviour?
Big Jock Knew
bovvered
The Ton Club

Post by bovvered »

Absolutely crazy if he does that
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

bovvered wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:15 pm Absolutely crazy if he does that
I'm still cynical, myself. Just passing on what I was sent by email.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Theres no doubting that there will be some who will be annoyed if it gets paid. Whether they care to admit it or not. Which is odd.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Rout wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 pm Theres no doubting that there will be some who will be annoyed if it gets paid. Whether they care to admit it or not. Which is odd.
Part of me actually hopes nobody gets a penny, as nothing will change very quickly unless something catastrophic happens like this. Obviously this isnt fair to the 57 players who forked out to qualify to play in it....

On the more sensible side, suddenly doubling the money when you have already written to them telling them what they are getting seems plain daft. Not as if these players have other options until after the next Worlds, they aint going anywhere.
Big Jock Knew
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:21 pm
Rout wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 pm Theres no doubting that there will be some who will be annoyed if it gets paid. Whether they care to admit it or not. Which is odd.
Part of me actually hopes nobody gets a penny, as nothing will change very quickly unless something catastrophic happens like this. Obviously this isnt fair to the 57 players who forked out to qualify to play in it....

On the more sensible side, suddenly doubling the money when you have already written to them telling them what they are getting seems plain daft. Not as if these players have other options until after the next Worlds, they aint going anywhere.
Well, the ones with Tour Cards have options.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:23 pm
Ginge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Well, the ones with Tour Cards have options.
Well, yes, but I was on about the others (obvs)

Hamilton (as an example) has already said he expects nothing, so using coffers to suddenly double what he was told in an official email doesnt seem the best use of funds. Surely the players have resigned themselves to getting £23k, £10k, 5k, whatever.
Big Jock Knew
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

2021 BDO Wordl Preffosionol Chapmoinsihp at Lodnon 20 Aerna Sposnroed by: WONKY COFFINS for those who can't lie straight.
Thinking of one.