2016 PDC World Grand Prix Qualification

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: 2016 PDC World Grand Prix Qualification

Post by Ginge »

ifm wrote:
Ginge wrote:Its not as if there are 4 Irish spots like in the old days, 2 is probably fine.
It's still a backdoor into many events they wouldn't normally qualify for historically.
I suppose the precedent has now been set by taking away 8 guaranteed extra Euro players from the European Championships, so yes maybe it's now time time to get rid of the Irish spots as well on the same basis.
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Re: 2016 PDC World Grand Prix Qualification

Post by Murphio »

ifm wrote:
Ginge wrote:Its not as if there are 4 Irish spots like in the old days, 2 is probably fine.
It's still a backdoor into many events they wouldn't normally qualify for historically.
It's a marketing strategy for this particular event - the same as the Grand Slam offers several places to players who wouldn't normally qualify for a ranked event. People complain about a lack of variety - here is an event which offers a chance through a different qualifying criteria to two local players to be cheered on by local fans. It's damnded if you do, damnded if you don't.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote:
It's a marketing strategy for this particular event - the same as the Grand Slam offers several places to players who wouldn't normally qualify for a ranked event. People complain about a lack of variety - here is an event which offers a chance through a different qualifying criteria to two local players to be cheered on by local fans. It's damnded if you do, damnded if you don't.
I see what you are saying but this is a world event where you want the best of the best. If they want to help Irish players out put a euro tour event there.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

The Jolly Man wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote:
I see what you are saying but this is a world event where you want the best of the best. If they want to help Irish players out put a euro tour event there.
It's not about 'helping Irish players'. It is an event based in Dublin and they want to secure local interest. It's about marketing. If the argument here is to apply unilateral qualifying critera across all ranked tournaments then that is the BDO interest in the Grand Slam ended there and then.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Murphio wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote:
It's not about 'helping Irish players'. It is an event based in Dublin and they want to secure local interest. It's about marketing. If the argument here is to apply unilateral qualifying critera across all ranked tournaments then that is the BDO interest in the Grand Slam ended there and then.
I think the marketing argument is a bit weak and pointless these days, not to say it wasnt useful in the past.

They manage to sell out the PL darts in Dublin without any Irish lads playing in it.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Col wrote:
Murphio wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote: It's still a backdoor into many events they wouldn't normally qualify for historically.
I think the marketing argument is a bit weak and pointless these days, not to say it wasnt useful in the past.

They manage to sell out the PL darts in Dublin without any Irish lads playing in it.
A seven session darts event 12 (?) miles outside of Dublin in a room which is far too big is a much harder sell than the PL.
Big Jock Knew
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:
Murphio wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
Murphio wrote: It's a marketing strategy for this particular event - the same as the Grand Slam offers several places to players who wouldn't normally qualify for a ranked event. People complain about a lack of variety - here is an event which offers a chance through a different qualifying criteria to two local players to be cheered on by local fans. It's damnded if you do, damnded if you don't.

A seven session darts event 12 (?) miles outside of Dublin in a room which is far too big is a much harder sell than the PL.
Do you believe having the irish lads in it helps to sell tickets?
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Col wrote:
Murphio wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote: It's still a backdoor into many events they wouldn't normally qualify for historically.

The opening sessions (when the Irish lads will be featuring) struggle with sales as it is. I very much doubt we are going to see the removal of something which creates interest among locals. The Irish angle is one of the selling points of the event. They introduce early rounds to Irish music and Sky have a camera fixed outside Temple Bar. That's just the flavour of the event - I see no real argument for changing the critera - if anything the PDC should perhaps look to mix qualification up for other events a bit further to avoid the kind of repetitiveness people on here complain about.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Col wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:
Murphio wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote: I see what you are saying but this is a world event where you want the best of the best. If they want to help Irish players out put a euro tour event there.

Yes but not loads. People will go for the big names more than the Irish names, IMO.
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:
Murphio wrote: It's not about 'helping Irish players'. It is an event based in Dublin and they want to secure local interest. It's about marketing. If the argument here is to apply unilateral qualifying critera across all ranked tournaments then that is the BDO interest in the Grand Slam ended there and then.

Yes but not loads. People will go for the big names more than the Irish names, IMO.
I remember when Jacko Barry played Barney he had loads of friends and family there supporting him. Atmosphere was top class and I dont think you'd have got that with say Barney v Gerwen Price.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The problem the event has is the venue is too big, more than anything.
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Worth noting that when Brendan Dolan got to the final - hitting the first double in nine darter en route - he hadn't qualified 'by right' (as it were). He was one of the two Irish qualifers.
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

Ginge wrote:The problem the event has is the venue is too big, more than anything.
the old venu in city west they used it be good go back to there it was like the circus tavern i think it looks better than 2-3 full we get n some session with current one
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

phil davies wrote:I'd cut it to to just the one Irish qualifier and I would give the other spot to the top or highest non qualified player from the development tour to give the youth extra incentive and bring a new face onto the tv.
Yeah even more for the bloody development tour ffs
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

ifm wrote:
phil davies wrote:I'd cut it to to just the one Irish qualifier and I would give the other spot to the top or highest non qualified player from the development tour to give the youth extra incentive and bring a new face onto the tv.
^^^^^seething. :)

The development tour are the stars of the future, not the challenge tour.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

spaceman70 wrote:
ifm wrote:

It is the poor cousin of the PDC, 4 weekends per year?
I think it's long overdue an expansion though i suspect time in the calendar may be the issue.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

spaceman70 wrote:
ifm wrote:

They are very well looked after, 8 weekends per year.

Madsocks
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

For me it's in the same area as wildcards, people in events that haven't earned the right to be there.

Madsocks
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ifm wrote:For me it's in the same area as wildcards, people in events that haven't earned the right to be there.
What about wildcard qualifying events for things like the GSOD?

A fan or not?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
ifm wrote:For me it's in the same area as wildcards, people in events that haven't earned the right to be there.
What about wildcard qualifying events for things like the GSOD?

A fan or not?
At least they have to win a few matches in a qualifying event, rather than being parachuted straight into an event because they are a "name". Hello, Messers Fordham, O'Shea and Hankey! :WWWW:

Saying that, 8 spots for the PDC qualifying event at the GSoD was far far too many last time out.
Big Jock Knew