PDC World Grand Prix 2011 - Money to defend, OOM...

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Azitis
Feather Flights

Re: PDC World Grand Prix 2011 - Money to defend, OOM...

Post by Azitis »

Zeyes wrote:
Stubby wrote:The UK players aren't allowed to be day members, enter 2 events and qualify through seperate tour qualifying system for the worlds.
I think that's the problem.
Steve's got a tour card though, so that's mainly what my response was about. If random players like Huybrechts and van der Rijk can apparently show up to the European events on a lark and walk away with semifinals and finals money, what's stopping UK players from taking that money instead? It'll only take about 6k to guarantee a Worlds spot through the PCOOM, make one final in a continental event and you're halfway there.

I'd say it's a "be careful what you wish for" situation - I suspect UK players won't like it much better if in a few years there are 20 or 30 non-UK European players with tour cards and they have to contend with them all the time instead of just in a handful of continental events.
there in lies the problem, i would suspect steve wouldnt mind there being 20 or 30 non europeans IF they had tour cards, if a similar system was used in the uk i would suspect it would happen there. i.e someone like winstanley or oshea being allowed to be a day member and getting a semi etc. what i suppose is galling is having a tour card and travelling the world, then other players dont have to because they are in a different oom table.
Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

Never understood having a European OOM?? An equal par would be to have an UK OOM for the UK lads outside of the the top 32, but that would be silly!!
masticman
Superleague Player

Post by masticman »

Azitis wrote:
Zeyes wrote:
Stubby wrote:The UK players aren't allowed to be day members, enter 2 events and qualify through seperate tour qualifying system for the worlds.
I think that's the problem.
Steve's got a tour card though, so that's mainly what my response was about. If random players like Huybrechts and van der Rijk can apparently show up to the European events on a lark and walk away with semifinals and finals money, what's stopping UK players from taking that money instead? It'll only take about 6k to guarantee a Worlds spot through the PCOOM, make one final in a continental event and you're halfway there.

I'd say it's a "be careful what you wish for" situation - I suspect UK players won't like it much better if in a few years there are 20 or 30 non-UK European players with tour cards and they have to contend with them all the time instead of just in a handful of continental events.
there in lies the problem, i would suspect steve wouldnt mind there being 20 or 30 non europeans IF they had tour cards, if a similar system was used in the uk i would suspect it would happen there. i.e someone like winstanley or oshea being allowed to be a day member and getting a semi etc. what i suppose is galling is having a tour card and travelling the world, then other players dont have to because they are in a different oom table.
Thank you 100% correct
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Stubby wrote:Never understood having a European OOM?? An equal par would be to have an UK OOM for the UK lads outside of the the top 32, but that would be silly!!
Considering the EOOM is used only for qualification to the European Championship and Ally Pally, I'd say if it didn't exist the PDC would simply be running more one-off qualification tournaments, so it's not like the spots taken up by EOOM players right now would go to UK players instead.

That said, I wouldn't mind if the EOOM was limited only to day members (probably with fewer qualifier spots then), so that only newcomers like Huybrechts could get a path into the PDC. Seems a bit silly that somebody like van Gerwen can backdoor his way into majors through the EOOM even though he's a tour card holder. Besides, tour card holders should be willing to play most of the circuit IMO - I don't think it's healthy for the system to have players like Suljovic or most German players occuping a card even though they're only going to show up for the continental events.

And sure, why not a UK day member OOM, too? Say, non-PDPA members can play in a limited number of UK PCs, maybe 6 per year or so for each player, and for that they get a couple of Ally Pally spots through a separate OOM. (That would work much better if my idea of massively reduced entry fees for tour card players was implemented...) Probably not the path the PDC wants to take the tour card, though.
Rudy
County Player

Post by Rudy »

If there would turn out to be so much opposition against the day members, the PDC are well advised to withdraw from the continent and hold all of their floor tournies in Crawley or so. Would save the British players one hell of a lot of money for travelling and acco and it's behind closed doors everywhere, so the only difference would be they'd miss the odd Dutch, Belgium or German prelim survivors. :) :) ;)