Out of form players

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
devosteve
International

Re: Out of form players

Post by devosteve »

I think the problem with this thread is that it became directed towards one player. Thus mannaheir's reponse. Good, honest, evaluation, btw. Not deluded but also having belief in a player when he is at the top of his game. Good on you. ps JC can't reply until Dicie tells him :) . Just a joke guys, don't ake it personally. But if you are reading you should be posting in reply, don't you think?

But wasn't the point, re the op, that was made (without naming players) being that some players are not out of form (winning things) because they don't win things, or play at the top level, on a consistent basis anyway? example: on a footie forum the same point could be made about a team like wolves. Top flight, great history etc, but now 'out of form' by being in the 3rd tier. Now you couldn't say that hartlepool (just for example) are 'out of form' by being at the lower level becuase they have never been 'in form' - that is playing at the top level.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

devosteve wrote:I think the problem with this thread is that it became directed towards one player. Thus mannaheir's reponse. Good, honest, evaluation, btw. Not deluded but also having belief in a player when he is at the top of his game. Good on you. ps JC can't reply until Dicie tells him :) . Just a joke guys, don't ake it personally. But if you are reading you should be posting in reply, don't you think?

But wasn't the point, re the op, that was made (without naming players) being that some players are not out of form (winning things) because they don't win things, or play at the top level, on a consistent basis anyway? example: on a footie forum the same point could be made about a team like wolves. Top flight, great history etc, but now 'out of form' by being in the 3rd tier. Now you couldn't say that hartlepool (just for example) are 'out of form' by being at the lower level becuase they have never been 'in form' - that is playing at the top level.
I'm sure someone will forward to the bunker hideout.
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Hey Mannaheir hope you are well.

Be prepared for someone to have a moan at your post - you only posted 32 times on here after all.

Sounds like the Limo Boyz had a great year.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

The Mannaheir
Steady Sixties

Post by The Mannaheir »

Thanks Adrian,was a very hard fought but rewarding year ending up with a league and cup double and an opportunity to win the champions cup in August,looking forward to it.Expecting a bit of flak from various sources for sticking up for the little fella but i'm very thick skinned.
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

The Mannaheir wrote:Thanks Adrian,was a very hard fought but rewarding year ending up with a league and cup double and an opportunity to win the champions cup in August,looking forward to it.Expecting a bit of flak from various sources for sticking up for the little fella but i'm very thick skinned.
Be prepared - you might get called a 'slurper' although having met you I think you'll cope.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

The Mannaheir wrote:Thanks Adrian,was a very hard fought but rewarding year ending up with a league and cup double and an opportunity to win the champions cup in August,looking forward to it.Expecting a bit of flak from various sources for sticking up for the little fella but i'm very thick skinned.
You may have a few days wait until Dicie says its ok for the 3 to post again. :D
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

spaceman70 wrote:
You may have a few days wait until Dicie says its ok for the 3 to post again. :D
Apparently he has allowed Ginge to post his predictions later today (around 6pm he will be unleashed).
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

polarbear70 wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:
Apparently he has allowed Ginge to post his predictions later today (around 6pm he will be unleashed).
you couldn't make it up could you :)
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
thebullet87
The Ton Club

Post by thebullet87 »

The Mannaheir wrote:Sorry to bring this thread back up again but i feel like a few things need to be clarified with regards to Steve Maish.Mr.Credible,you seem like a very angry young man,who likes attention.Thats fine,thats your choice,you have already been corrected on certain facts regarding maishy but here's some more.You seem to be annoyed that Steve says that anyone can beat anybody 6-0,6-1 on the PDC pro tour on any day because the standard is incredibly high and asked for examples of Steve's 6-0 victories.This year,Euro 2 qualifier,Steve Maish 6-0 Steve Randell(Yes,you will fire back with Randell gets beat 6-0 every game,tough,you asked for Steve's 6-0 wins,i gave it to you).There have been various other 6-0 defeats on the tour this year not involving Steve.Here are some examples:MVG 6-0 Paul Nicholson,Steve West 6-0 Alan Tabern,MVG 6-0 Merv King,Adrian Lewis 6-0 Vincent van der vort,Andy Jenkins 6-0 Jamie Caven.Are all these losing players not good enough? Think you'll find they are all tour winners over the past few years.
Another of your points seems to be that Steve believes he can still win tournaments(good attitude to have if you ask me).Don't ever remember Steve saying this,but please correct me if i'm wrong.He did say he was good enough to win a "previous" tour event and get to 8 world championships.Think you may have either misread or misunderstood Steve's comments.You say that Steve is not good enough to win future tournaments.Thats fine,thats your opinion and thats fair enough,but you come across at times as if he has murdered you wife,girlfiend or boyfriend(to be politically correct).What has he ever done to you? He probably hasn't even nicked a fag off you,so think yourself lucky!
I have had the pleasure of watching Steve for many years and seen some fantastic wins over all the top players(excluding Taylor,before you bring that up) at one point or another(all be it not so many lately).Ask the likes of Adrian Lewis and Mr.Barneveld what they think of Steve's game and you may be suprised by their answer.Over the past couple of years,Steve has had a massive change in his personal life and does not have the time anymore to dedicate the hours of practise that is now needed to be an elite player.Sometimes there are more important things in life than darts.
Another of your points seems to be that he is wasting his money and lining "Uncle Barry's" pockets.As previously said by others,do you just want MVG v Taylor every week only?
In any case,it is not Steve that is "wasting" his money,it's me.I have sponsored,managed,psychologically counselled,cigarette provided Steve for many years,together with a few other pro tour players and youth/challenge tour players,so it's me who is "wasting" my money,not Steve.That is my choice.I am over 18 years old and can do what i damn well like with my money.I am in a fortunate position that i am able to do this,and i like to give people that i am close to a chance in a sport that they love,and i love.I am under no illusions that Maishy is going to be a world champion,he's not,and he knows he's not.However,on his day,this guy can play,and "i" still believe that with a little bit of luck,he is still capable of winning a tour event.Just my opinion.I am not saying he will win one but that he is capable on his day.But as Kevin Keegan once said,if he did win one,"i'd love it",because you,Mr.Credible,would look rather silly.

Fair enough points but if steve does not have the time or desire to be an elite player on tour whats the point in playing. What is he there for a jolly and a weekend away from the missus ??
The Mannaheir
Steady Sixties

Post by The Mannaheir »

No different from most players outside the top 32 i would say,work and family committments stop lots of players practising to the required level,thats just life.Steve just enjoys playing(most of the time) and seeing as most of the events at the moment are in Wigan and he lives a 5 minute walk away,wouldnt say its a weekend away from the missus!
thebullet87
The Ton Club

Post by thebullet87 »

thats fair enough bud. i was just saying if i was playing at that level and could not give 100% i would not bother i would enjoy life elsewhere as like you said there is lots more better things in life than darts.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

thebullet87 wrote:thats fair enough bud. i was just saying if i was playing at that level and could not give 100% i would not bother i would enjoy life elsewhere as like you said there is lots more better things in life than darts.
That's a banning offence on here!!!!

Darts is everything
:hypno: :hypno: :hypno: :hypno:
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

One of the biggest myths in sport: if you are not good enough (or believe you are good enough) to play at the top level then you shouldn't play. Another one: "if you don't believe you can win an event you shouldn't be there". crazy! Send those japenese players back to Japan then at the world championships etc. Surely some of the 1st rd players at the UK Open would settle say for a quarter final placing if offered.

There are many footie players who KNOW they are not good enough to play for one of the big prem teams. But they still play. Are we saying all the Accrington Stanley players should give up unless they believe they WILL one day play for man Utd? Are we saying non league clubs should not eneter the FA cup becuase they KNOW they will not win it.

There are many snooker players who do not think they are good enough to win the world title, so should they all quit? Note: of course they may have a goal/dream to say make the WC. Nothing wrong with ambition.

And so with darts. If a player recognisies he may never be world number one but has a goal to get into the top 64 (and then maybe set a top 32 goal) surely he should still play. especially if he enjoys it and can make some kind of living (or bonus money if he has a job) and has some TV experiences.

How many player entering a BDO open (with all the top BDO lads in) sincerely believe they can win it? But according to some you shouldn't be there then. My wife had a great experience at an EDO comp the other year: we travelled to Blackpool, she paid £10 to enter, for 2 reasons: a) the experience and b) hoping to draw the world number one (Deta Hedman) - just for the thrill of being able to say she had played the world's best, in a comp, to her friends in the local darts team. She had no belief that she could win but still entered. Now i know this is not the same as being a 'professional' sportsperson (and i know i am somewhat biased in favour of mrs devo) but doesn't the principle stand at all levels of darts?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

nikkiboy wrote:
thebullet87 wrote:thats fair enough bud. i was just saying if i was playing at that level and could not give 100% i would not bother i would enjoy life elsewhere as like you said there is lots more better things in life than darts.
That's a banning offence on here!!!!

Darts is everything
:hypno: :hypno: :hypno: :hypno:
Sorry Nikkiboy but what you have said is a banning offence. i thought on this forum it was "PDC DARTS WAS EVERYTHING"!
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Oh no point turning up if you're shite and all the markers are nobs and cunts if you believe some people.

You can tell its silly season for the darts, roll on the summer months and things can get back to normalish.

Before anybody pipes up about how quiet this place is, all forums are, its due to facebook and twitter etc.

So we will still be here come what may and enjoy the forum for what it is.
Chunksoutofthewalls
Steady Sixties

Post by Chunksoutofthewalls »

Whats happened to Kevin McDine of late he seemed to have an excellent talent. What about Peter Manley how is he doing these days?

Personally I am looking forwards to the next tournament in Bolton so we can see all the players again. As good as the PL is I enjoy seeing the so called lesser lights in action.To get on TV you have to be an amazing darts player.

Must be a few years ago now and Maishy was on tv and someone called out from the crowd or whistled leading him to miss an important double that changed the course of his match.I would love to be as good as him even for a few hours.Its easy to forget how difficult the game is because the pro guys ( all of them) make it look simple.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Chunksoutofthewalls wrote:Whats happened to Kevin McDine of late he seemed to have an excellent talent. What about Peter Manley how is he doing these days?

Personally I am looking forwards to the next tournament in Bolton so we can see all the players again. As good as the PL is I enjoy seeing the so called lesser lights in action.To get on TV you have to be an amazing darts player.

Must be a few years ago now and Maishy was on tv and someone called out from the crowd or whistled leading him to miss an important double that changed the course of his match.I would love to be as good as him even for a few hours.Its easy to forget how difficult the game is because the pro guys ( all of them) make it look simple.
I am hearing lots about Mcdine getting back to some sort of good form. I really thought he would go on to bigger and better things after I saw him at the GSOD>
thebullet87
The Ton Club

Post by thebullet87 »

devosteve wrote:One of the biggest myths in sport: if you are not good enough (or believe you are good enough) to play at the top level then you shouldn't play. Another one: "if you don't believe you can win an event you shouldn't be there". crazy! Send those japenese players back to Japan then at the world championships etc. Surely some of the 1st rd players at the UK Open would settle say for a quarter final placing if offered.

There are many footie players who KNOW they are not good enough to play for one of the big prem teams. But they still play. Are we saying all the Accrington Stanley players should give up unless they believe they WILL one day play for man Utd? Are we saying non league clubs should not eneter the FA cup becuase they KNOW they will not win it.

There are many snooker players who do not think they are good enough to win the world title, so should they all quit? Note: of course they may have a goal/dream to say make the WC. Nothing wrong with ambition.

And so with darts. If a player recognisies he may never be world number one but has a goal to get into the top 64 (and then maybe set a top 32 goal) surely he should still play. especially if he enjoys it and can make some kind of living (or bonus money if he has a job) and has some TV experiences.

How many player entering a BDO open (with all the top BDO lads in) sincerely believe they can win it? But according to some you shouldn't be there then. My wife had a great experience at an EDO comp the other year: we travelled to Blackpool, she paid £10 to enter, for 2 reasons: a) the experience and b) hoping to draw the world number one (Deta Hedman) - just for the thrill of being able to say she had played the world's best, in a comp, to her friends in the local darts team. She had no belief that she could win but still entered. Now i know this is not the same as being a 'professional' sportsperson (and i know i am somewhat biased in favour of mrs devo) but doesn't the principle stand at all levels of darts?

Dont think you compare darts to footie in my opinion as football there are different levels and and some players know league 2 or 1 is there peak look at teams who get promoted some players up there game but some/most end up being loaned back to the lower divisions. I think we are to nice here in the uk to sportsman and women about there abilitys look at the NFL in america if your not good enough your gone and so it should be at the highest level.

but in darts well the PDC there is to much golf in class between a lot of players there needs to be a selection or performance standard to reach to be able to play it will get rid of the day dreamers who think they can make at least an 85-90 ave to get in and finance report to prove you can afford the tour for the full 2 years. just my 10 pence worth but then again darts is a pub game and should not be taken as serious as real sports.
Al Capone
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by Al Capone »

thebullet87 wrote:
devosteve wrote:One of the biggest myths in sport: if you are not good enough (or believe you are good enough) to play at the top level then you shouldn't play. Another one: "if you don't believe you can win an event you shouldn't be there". crazy! Send those japenese players back to Japan then at the world championships etc. Surely some of the 1st rd players at the UK Open would settle say for a quarter final placing if offered.

Dont think you compare darts to footie in my opinion as football there are different levels and and some players know league 2 or 1 is there peak look at teams who get promoted some players up there game but some/most end up being loaned back to the lower divisions. I think we are to nice here in the uk to sportsman and women about there abilitys look at the NFL in america if your not good enough your gone and so it should be at the highest level.

but in darts well the PDC there is to much golf in class between a lot of players there needs to be a selection or performance standard to reach to be able to play it will get rid of the day dreamers who think they can make at least an 85-90 ave to get in and finance report to prove you can afford the tour for the full 2 years. just my 10 pence worth but then again darts is a pub game and should not be taken as serious as real sports.
That's maybe their problem. Too much time on the course and not enough on the oche :)
---------------------------------------
Keep the change ya filthy animal!!
--------------------------------------
-
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

spaceman70 wrote:
You are making Dicie sound like some sort of cult leader ;)