Who Will Dominate the BDO Now

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Murphio
International

Re: Who Will Dominate the BDO Now

Post by Murphio »

Paddy McGinty wrote: You can say it as many times as you like but I still won't wear it, I know how capable a player he is. There is no need to reply to this post, I have no more to say on this subject.
Oh wait - you were serious! Wilson is a better player than Barney. End of thread. :DDD:
ChunkIOW
Pub Champion

Post by ChunkIOW »

I don't think one player will now dominate in the BDO, I think things will be spread out a lot more this season, IMO there will become 3 distinct groups over this season and into Lakeside next year....

3 or 4 at the top of the pile, mainly picking up the main titles and good ranking points;
James Wilson, proven already and will carry on.
Alan Norris, has shown for a few years he can do it, now seems to be able to do at the big events as well.
Robbie Green, always good on the floor, think the occasion gets to him sometimes, one of the best short format players.
Jan Dekker, has the ability to really turn it on, will certainly be a regular 1/4 and semi in most comps.

Then a group of around 8 or 9 who will pick up points and may just sneak a title;
Robson, Adams, Harms, Waites, Mitchell, George, O'Shea, De Graffe & dare I say Hankey, Ted wont be consistent throughout but he will have patches of brilliance.

Then the rest, some of which will obviously have a run at some point or another but unlikely to put a sustained period together.

Wide open for me this year!
It's better to be lucky than good!
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Yeah was impressed with him last weekend
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Murphio wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote: You can say it as many times as you like but I still won't wear it, I know how capable a player he is. There is no need to reply to this post, I have no more to say on this subject.
Oh wait - you were serious! Wilson is a better player than Barney. End of thread. :DDD:
Aye and John Part is better than Bunting :DDD:

Two can play your game Murph ;) ;)
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Col wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Aye and John Part is better than Bunting :DDD:

Two can play your game Murph ;) ;)
John Part, world number 28...hmmm. Struggling with that one Col.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

I will leave you to think about it for a while. It harks back to what you were saying yesterday.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Col wrote:I will leave you to think about it for a while. It harks back to what you were saying yesterday.
Which was? I'll assume by the vagueness of your reply we are heading for another strawman debate. :WWWW:
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

nah, am done.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Col wrote:nah, am done.
Spoilsport ;)
ChunkIOW
Pub Champion

Post by ChunkIOW »

Oh, I missed out Montgomery from my 2nd tier of players!
It's better to be lucky than good!
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

The beauty of the BDO over the last 20 years it is has rarely been "dominated". Yes there were periods when Barney and maybe Adams won more tournaments than the rest but compared to the dark side where one man has bored the life out of the game for two decades its not really domination.

You go into every tournament never knowing who is going to succeed.

At the Lakeside Bunting had many, many doubters. Because despite being the favourite and obvious best player, the worries of whether he would let the Lakeside stage get the better of him yet again were always there, like it has with so many others.

Waites reaches the SF of the GSOD but crashes out first round in back to back BDO TV tournies after that.

Norris and Montgomery produced surprising (For many) runs to resepective finals this year.

Long live the nature of unpredictable darts.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Rout wrote:The beauty of the BDO over the last 20 years it is has rarely been "dominated". Yes there were periods when Barney and maybe Adams won more tournaments than the rest but compared to the dark side where one man has bored the life out of the game for two decades its not really domination.

You go into every tournament never knowing who is going to succeed.

At the Lakeside Bunting had many, many doubters. Because despite being the favourite and obvious best player, the worries of whether he would let the Lakeside stage get the better of him yet again were always there, like it has with so many others.

Waites reaches the SF of the GSOD but crashes out first round in back to back BDO TV tournies after that.

Norris and Montgomery produced surprising (For many) runs to resepective finals this year.

Long live the nature of unpredictable darts.

Bunting was always going to win Lakeside this year..I would have been amazed if he hadn't and even more so after the Masters..Lakeside on the whole is pretty easy to predict and is actually far easier to do so now than in years gone by when fields had far more depth and quality than today

Wilson will be the number 1 quite comfortably now I think...he is a true quality player who will be off to the PDC at some point, would be daft not to but I think he will have collected a Lakeside title first
After him the next tier is pretty average to honest these days unless Waites gets his form back

But the doors are open in the BDO...2 years ago nobody had really heard of James Wilson and Bunting didn't qualify for Lakeside 2 or 3 years ago so the system does allow for a break through by a player if they are good enough...the problem is holding onto the ones with extra talent
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

trotter wrote:Bunting was always going to win Lakeside this year..I would have been amazed if he hadn't and even more so after the Masters..Lakeside on the whole is pretty easy to predict and is actually far easier to do so now than in years gone by when fields had far more depth and quality than today
Can't say I agree with this. Whilst you might have correctly picked the winner, and I myself had £20 on Bunty at 6/4 - I read across many forums and the opinion was varied. People did wonder whether the occasion would be too much for him and the pressure be to great. Wilson had a lot of backers, as did current champion Waites following a good showing at the GSOD.

How many people had Kist as the winner before the tournie? Ditto Klaasen? Adams first win wouldn't have been backed by many. Hankey in 2009 wouldn't have been tipped by too many either. Even Waites wasn't exactly a foregone conclusion given his relatively awful record in the comp prior to it. Adams 2012 win was the only one I could call truly predictable.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Dartz
Feather Flights

Post by Dartz »

Rout wrote:
trotter wrote:Bunting was always going to win Lakeside this year..I would have been amazed if he hadn't and even more so after the Masters..Lakeside on the whole is pretty easy to predict and is actually far easier to do so now than in years gone by when fields had far more depth and quality than today
Can't say I agree with this. Whilst you might have correctly picked the winner, and I myself had £20 on Bunty at 6/4 - I read across many forums and the opinion was varied. People did wonder whether the occasion would be too much for him and the pressure be to great. Wilson had a lot of backers, as did current champion Waites following a good showing at the GSOD.

How many people had Kist as the winner before the tournie? Ditto Klaasen? Adams first win wouldn't have been backed by many. Hankey in 2009 wouldn't have been tipped by too many either. Even Waites wasn't exactly a foregone conclusion given his relatively awful record in the comp prior to it. Adams 2012 win was the only one I could call truly predictable.
I did! Shame I couldn't put any money on him.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Dartz wrote:
Rout wrote:

I did! Shame I couldn't put any money on him.

He was probably.the stand out player at the Masters just before Lakeside which made him one of the players to watch out for at Lakeside...I think a few had a cheeky bet after the Masters
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Really? He lost to steve west and scott waites was awesome at the masters
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

my money is whoever steps up to the plate will be gone off to the pdc soon after if he has a spine or the testicular fortitude
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Oche forgetting that Kist won through the field on consecutive days to get a Lakeside spot and then a spot in the televised part of the Masters, there.
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Justin Credible wrote:my money is whoever steps up to the plate will be gone off to the pdc soon after if he has a spine or the testicular fortitude
Nothing to do with financial gain then?
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:my money is whoever steps up to the plate will be gone off to the pdc soon after if he has a spine or the testicular fortitude
Nothing to do with financial gain then?

This is the typical bitter bdo excuse , thats its all about money.

Money is very important obviously but suspect its not the only or main reason, hard as it is for some bdo people to comprehend some players want to be remebered for being the best in the world and to do that they have to challenge the best in the world and they are in the pdc.

This whole "its all about the money" is just an excuse and a pretty dismal one that reeks of bitterness when a player decides to move on to better things.