Players entering the CLD late

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Players entering the CLD late

Post by Ginge »

Here is a topic to conjure with.

The Calendar for 2010 was released around this time last year, so the players have had 12 months knowing when each tournament was, which includes the CLD.

Therefore if a player is unable to play in the group they are meant to play in at the CLD (such as Barney and Jenks in Group 1), they should be told to "sod off", not able to enter the rest of the tournament and let someone else have a go. Obviously exceptions for medical emergency etc...

Discuss.
Big Jock Knew
and the Iron Fist
Superleague Player

Re: Players entering the CLD late

Post by and the Iron Fist »

Bradders wrote:Here is a topic to conjure with.

The Calendar for 2010 was released around this time last year, so the players have had 12 months knowing when each tournament was, which includes the CLD.

Therefore if a player is unable to play in the group they are meant to play in at the CLD (such as Barney and Jenks in Group 1), they should be told to "sod off", not able to enter the rest of the tournament and let someone else have a go. Obviously exceptions for medical emergency etc...

Discuss.

Can't disagree with you. Given that this is a tournament designed solely for the purpose of making a few bob for the sponsors and the players it's a bit rich of them 'not to be available' on certain dates. Okay, fine. Miss out on a nice payday then. Are they 'proffesionals' or not?

Of course, we know the real reason some choose to enter late. Easier fields later on (on paper at least).
"It seems he thinks he is entitled to say what he likes" - 'Gadffi' Dicie on and the Iron Fist.
Grubby
Superleague Player

Post by Grubby »

One "possible" arguement is that " I didn't know which group I'd be in" another is " I already had __________ planned before the diary dates were released in Oct"

BUT I think that some are just trying to maximise their £'s in a non OOM tourney and avoiding group 1 & 2 & 3 isn't a bad thing for some to do. Fair play to the Thorn who stepped up and although he only won 1 game it was vs Taylor and that may be worth £'s in the longrun as regards his confidence?
follow me on twitter @grubby1968!!!
hang the dj
County Player

Post by hang the dj »

I agree to a certain extent unless there are circumstances -e.g Priestley for medical reasons
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

hang the dj wrote:I agree to a certain extent unless there are circumstances -e.g Priestley for medical reasons
Yes, I did suggest in the OP that special circumstances are fair enough.

Someone in another thread is suggesting that the reason Barney may not be in Week 1 is because that he is in Ireland doing exbos. Were these booked a year in advance? Or maybe he thought he was going to toss this tournament off like he usually does and do something else anyway, but then has a change of heart a few weeks ago, but found himself already committed during Groups 1-3.

Either way, it should be allowed to happen. Either your available when the PDC want you, or you dont play at all. Not fair on the players ranked 30-40 who would probably bite your hand off just to be involved in Groups 6, 7 or 8 alone.
Big Jock Knew
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Havent really got an opinion on this, iv always thought certain people within the PDC get "special treatment", iv seen it 1st hand in killarney 5 or 6 players (PDPA members) and a few locals complained about something at the venue, nothing was done, phil only mentioned it, and all of a sudden it was top priority.

But, if others are happy for this to continue, fair play, it seems alot of these players are of the opinion that everyone within the pdc owes phil a favour, cause without him there wud be no pots of gold.

I do how ever know the bloke arranging these exbos, and he oes work well in advance, anything up to 18 months in advance to be precise.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

I agree with Bradders, if for what ever reason (including sickness) you can't be available when the competition starts then the next eligible player should move up to take your place.

These players compete as professionals and should act accordingly, if they choose to arrange an expo or go on holiday on a date which clashes with a PDC competition they should not be allowed to play and their place given to a more dedicated and deserving player.

Where is the commitment??

Regards Paddy

:bat: :bat:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
hang the dj
County Player

Post by hang the dj »

Paddy McGinty wrote:I agree with Bradders, if for what ever reason (including sickness) you can't be available when the competition starts then the next eligible player should move up to take your place.

These players compete as professionals and should act accordingly, if they choose to arrange an expo or go on holiday on a date which clashes with a PDC competition they should not be allowed to play and their place given to a more dedicated and deserving player.

Where is the commitment??

Regards Paddy

:bat: :bat:
Exactly Paddy, I mean Martin Adams would never decline an invitation
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

You are talking about two different things......now be sensible!

Paddy

:bat:
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

you could argue that the earlier you enter the event then the more bites of the cherry you actually get and the more money you could win.....if you enter the last group then you basically have to win the group to progress....one bite at the cherry and you are gone.....so its all swings and roundabouts really
and the Iron Fist
Superleague Player

Post by and the Iron Fist »

Dicie wrote:Havent really got an opinion on this, iv always thought certain people within the PDC get "special treatment", iv seen it 1st hand in killarney 5 or 6 players (PDPA members) and a few locals complained about something at the venue, nothing was done, phil only mentioned it, and all of a sudden it was top priority.

But, if others are happy for this to continue, fair play, it seems alot of these players are of the opinion that everyone within the pdc owes phil a favour, cause without him there wud be no pots of gold.

What does this have to do with the topic?
"It seems he thinks he is entitled to say what he likes" - 'Gadffi' Dicie on and the Iron Fist.
Mr Glass
County Player

Post by Mr Glass »

Paddy McGinty wrote:You are talking about two different things......now be sensible!
Why is he ???

Martin Adams is a Dart player.

Not a BDO player !!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:You are talking about two different things......now be sensible!
Why is he ???

Martin Adams is a Dart player.

Not a BDO player !!!
I know it doesn't take much but you have confused me a little, I always thought Martin Adams (Multiple World Champion by the way) was a BDO player in fact I'm sure he was last time I looked.

This being the case I would of thought he was under no moral or indeed any obligation to enter and compete in a PDC run comp.

This thread is about players that are competing in the competition, but have chosen for one reason or another to delay their entrée into the event.

Please try and stay with the thread BOF, if you are having trouble understanding PM one of the MODs, I'm sure you'll find them only to willing to try to explain the advanced complexities of some of the more adult threads.

Fond Regards,

Paddy McGinty

:bat:
Azitis
Feather Flights

Post by Azitis »

i would agree if this event was ranked, but then you would have to make a cut off point for entry at the beginning of the year and have the "groups" sorted, so players can make sure they are available. i dont think it would be reasonable that in january players have to keep 9 days free, when they have no idea what group they are in. i personally cant see much wrong with how it is done at present.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Azitis wrote:i would agree if this event was ranked, but then you would have to make a cut off point for entry at the beginning of the year and have the "groups" sorted, so players can make sure they are available. i dont think it would be reasonable that in january players have to keep 9 days free, when they have no idea what group they are in. i personally cant see much wrong with how it is done at present.
Would Barney and Jenks have believed they would have dropped out of the Top 8 back in January? I dont think either would.
Big Jock Knew
Azitis
Feather Flights

Post by Azitis »

you have to have a blanket rule, not just one for baney and terry jenks. when the groups are decided players are "invited" to take part, players shouldnt lose out, because they made a booking in jan feb etc when they didnt know what group they would be in.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Azitis wrote:you have to have a blanket rule, not just one for baney and terry jenks. when the groups are decided players are "invited" to take part, players shouldnt lose out, because they made a booking in jan feb etc when they didnt know what group they would be in.
I know you have to have a blanket rule, Im just citing an easy example that Barney and Jenks would never have thought they would have slipped to 15th or worse in the world in 8 months (and of course they didnt), so why not keep the first week of this comp free? It was 99.9999% certain they would have been eligible for it.
Big Jock Knew
Azitis
Feather Flights

Post by Azitis »

i understand what you mean BUT it has to be the same rule for all players invited (top 29) plus the top 8 can change significantly when you consider after the calender is done you have numerous tv events including the matchplay etc. what maybe should happen is when the "cut off" point is reached then players have to "commit" to the event.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Azitis wrote:i understand what you mean BUT it has to be the same rule for all players invited (top 29) plus the top 8 can change significantly when you consider after the calender is done you have numerous tv events including the matchplay etc. what maybe should happen is when the "cut off" point is reached then players have to "commit" to the event.
The Matchplay is pencilled in for 8/9 days every year. I doubt players wont be booking exbos and stuff that week until they know for certain they are not playing in it.

Same shouls apply here. OK, its not a ranking event, but it just takes the mick. Players on this forum like Maishy, Grubby and Maish would bite your hand off to play in this.
Big Jock Knew
Azitis
Feather Flights

Post by Azitis »

yeah, i understand your point, but this is different, it isnt ranked, its over 3 seperate weeks, you dont know when you are in it. i would think it difficult to turn down work months in advance "just in case" your in gp 1 2 etc especially when its your job. plus the 29 involved to me does not matter when they play, if they miss groups its less money or bites of the cherry.