2016 Premier League

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: 2016 Premier League

Post by Ginge »

Thought he was higher than that then. Besides, Klaasen was lower than that when he was picked wasn't he?
Big Jock Knew
BOOM
Superleague Player

Post by BOOM »

The only reason people are questioning Smith is because Klaasen did surprisingly well at the WC, isn't it?
Target_Pro Stone
Steady Sixties

Post by Target_Pro Stone »

I'm really surprised Norris has been overlooked in favour of Thornton? Yes he won the WGP but Norris destroyed him & went on a run to the quarters yet has not been given a look in.

Thornton is the only PL pick I have an issue with.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Norris?!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

He won the third biggest ranking event on the PDC calendar only three months ago and is ranked in the top 10 in the world.

Kevin painter got a PL place back when there were only 8 in the field for doing a hell of a lot less.

How anyone can have an issue with Thornton being there is an utter mystery to me.
Big Jock Knew
GRAYISALEGEND
County Player

Post by GRAYISALEGEND »

I don't have the answer but with Top 10 again, its the same players on TV, whole event at risk of going stale IMO

Would have been better off including 'characters' like Devon Petersen, yes get thrashed but his walk on and the skates is all about Premier League/entertainment etc
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

Is anyone really going to buy a ticket or tune in to see a Peterson level player though?
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

mik252 wrote:Wade gets in ahead of Klaasen. Think that's a bit of a shame, would have liked to see Klaasen in personally.
Maybe, think Klaasen deserved a place, perhaps in place of Smith, perhaps in place of Wade. All ten that are in are deserved though.
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

Only issue I really have with Barry's explanation of it being the top 10 in the world and no-one can argue - what about the last two years where Barney was outside the top 10 yet picked - his 2014 pick the year he went on to win it, and fair play to him for doing so, was a particular joke in my eyes. Feel free to disagree but just wasn't fair that some were overlooked in favour of him at that time.
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

Chizzyfan wrote:Good choices, Chizzy to win.
We all like Chizzy, but do you have to spout this statement just about every time he goes in for a tournament? Totally needless isn't it? Sorry to be negative.
cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

Top ten and everyone is there on merit as it should be. This is a big payday and great exposure for the participants and should be based on merit only, last time I checked this is sport right. You want subjective judging ftw go watch figure skating.
Proud member of dart forums....
Scuppering darting business deals since 2015
Proud recipient of the first entry on Fartoids Bullshit-o-meter. Total entries: 7 and counting.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

WizardofozFan wrote:Only issue I really have with Barry's explanation of it being the top 10 in the world and no-one can argue - what about the last two years where Barney was outside the top 10 yet picked - his 2014 pick the year he went on to win it, and fair play to him for doing so, was a particular joke in my eyes. Feel free to disagree but just wasn't fair that some were overlooked in favour of him at that time.
Barney has never been outside the top 10 players in the world no matter what the rankings say.
Agent 86
Superleague Player

Post by Agent 86 »

phil davies wrote:Well I'd fancy him to finish above an out of form/injured Thornton unless that changes by the time the PL rolls around but Thorn and smith are the 2 I think will be eliminated.

My league finishing place prediction would be.

1st MvG
2nd Gando
3rd Wright
4th RvB

5th Lewis
6th Chizzy
7th Taylor
8th Wade

9th Smith
10th Thorn
Taylor 7th !
Wot are you trying to say?
[font=Goudy Stout]The Unicorn 2016 World Matchplay Prediction Game Champion[/font]
Chizzyfan
County Player

Post by Chizzyfan »

WizardofozFan wrote:
Chizzyfan wrote:Good choices, Chizzy to win.
We all like Chizzy, but do you have to spout this statement just about every time he goes in for a tournament? Totally needless isn't it? Sorry to be negative.
Yes, no and no need to be sorry.
Chizzyesque
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

Murphio wrote:
WizardofozFan wrote:Only issue I really have with Barry's explanation of it being the top 10 in the world and no-one can argue - what about the last two years where Barney was outside the top 10 yet picked - his 2014 pick the year he went on to win it, and fair play to him for doing so, was a particular joke in my eyes. Feel free to disagree but just wasn't fair that some were overlooked in favour of him at that time.
Barney has never been outside the top 10 players in the world no matter what the rankings say.
Well let's do away with the rankings altogether then and have a free-for-all in every tournament. Barney clearly hasn't been in the top 10 players in the world because he hasn't been ranked there from around 2013 until now. If he doesn't turn up for events or gives up in certain events, that's his problem and he therefore hasn't shown the same level of form those above him have.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

WizardofozFan wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Well let's do away with the rankings altogether then and have a free-for-all in every tournament. Barney clearly hasn't been in the top 10 players in the world because he hasn't been ranked there from around 2013 until now. If he doesn't turn up for events or gives up in certain events, that's his problem and he therefore hasn't shown the same level of form those above him have.
Rankings are often about volume; before they changed the criteria Colin Loyd was the world number one. Was he the world's best player? No chance. Barney is one of the best 10 players in the world and has been since the day he moved over. I couldnt care less what the rankings say.
gm180
Pub Champion

Post by gm180 »

Do we think ando v smith will be on the first night to get it out the way, with there being a bit of conflict of interests and what's the betting they draw
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

gm180 wrote:Do we think ando v smith will be on the first night to get it out the way, with there being a bit of conflict of interests and what's the betting they draw
Personally would be happy with this draw, as Bullyboy might be nervous on his 1st outing in the PL, and Ando will be trying to get his campaign off to a flying start. No way would there be any conflict of interest for Gary, and the likelihood is he will be playing MVG, Lewis or Taylor on tbe opening night.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Agent 86
Superleague Player

Post by Agent 86 »

ssjsa wrote:
gm180 wrote:Do we think ando v smith will be on the first night to get it out the way, with there being a bit of conflict of interests and what's the betting they draw
Personally would be happy with this draw, as Bullyboy might be nervous on his 1st outing in the PL, and Ando will be trying to get his campaign off to a flying start. No way would there be any conflict of interest for Gary, and the likelihood is he will be playing MVG, Lewis or Taylor on tbe opening night.
With 300K in his pocket, doubt he cares.......would you.
[font=Goudy Stout]The Unicorn 2016 World Matchplay Prediction Game Champion[/font]
cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

I agree with murphio that Barney ranking doesn't always reflect his quality. But I see that as due in part to his laziness not going to ET events and PC events when his ranking was slipping, and when he probably need a little fine tuning in his game and his head. If Barney knew he couldn't get into the PL if he was outside the top 10 he would have done more events just like he did this year when he was in jeopardy of slipping out of 16. This is why the PL selection needs to be merit based only it creates incentive for completion and rewards those who show up and do well. The barney that knows he is getting in PL league regardless of his ranking is a lazy Barney.
Proud member of dart forums....
Scuppering darting business deals since 2015
Proud recipient of the first entry on Fartoids Bullshit-o-meter. Total entries: 7 and counting.