The BDO Class of the late 2010s

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Wazza180
Pub Champion

The BDO Class of the late 2010s

Post by Wazza180 »

Noppert: Semi Final of a PC today.

Durrant: 2nd in the PL. Unbeaten after two weeks.

Harms: Beat Anderson yesterday in a PC event.

Ratajski: Won a PC event this evening.

Jeff Smith: Made the final of PC event last weekend.

Scott Mitchell: Top of the CT.

Fallon Sherrock: PDC' biggest drawing card.

If you are going to criticise the BDO, at least have the honesty to give them due credit. They are still the PDC's main source of talent and without them the PDC's tour would be a lot less well off.
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Re: The BDO Class of the late 2010s

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Take out all the lads who played BDO first and the PDC goes under.
UKDA 4 Life
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

The class of 2016-2019 was a good era for quality of BDO players but it was against a backdrop of poor BDO planning & PDC having a good period

You look at all the players in the PDC who was in the BDO during that period

Glen Durrant
Krzysztof Ratajski
Jamie Hughes
Danny Noppert
Darius Labanaukas
Mark McGeeney
Conan Whitehead
Gabriel Clemens
Scott Baker
Martjun Kleermaker
Nick Kenny
Jeff Smith
Andy Hamilton
Krystof Kcuik
Wes Harms
Scott Waites
Scott Mitchell
Lisa Ashton

You could include Sherrock too.
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

You can’t really include Hamilton in that. He didn’t really want to be there. And Clemens didn’t exactly have a stellar WDF career?
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Yes, the BDO was strong in its own right up until this year.

It's sad. The BDO had a marketable alternative to the PDC and their 8 players. Yet it was all squandered by the Williams administration. They couldn't run a bath, let alone a darts organisation.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Dannyboy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:53 am You can’t really include Hamilton in that. He didn’t really want to be there. And Clemens didn’t exactly have a stellar WDF career?
Clemens was a semi finalist at the world masters. Yes I’m including Hamilton

el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

It's not a patch on the BDO class of 93
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

oche balboa wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:51 am The class of 2016-2019 was a good era for quality of BDO players but it was against a backdrop of poor BDO planning & PDC having a good period

Glen Durrant
Krzysztof Ratajski
Jamie Hughes
Danny Noppert
Darius Labanaukas
Mark McGeeney
Conan Whitehead
Gabriel Clemens
Scott Baker
Martjun Kleermaker
Nick Kenny
Jeff Smith
Andy Hamilton
Krystof Kcuik
Wes Harms
Scott Waites
Scott Mitchell
Lisa Ashton

Andy Hamilton was only there because he was no longer good enough to even have one of the 128 Tour Cards in the PDC. Mark McGeeney hasn't won a match on the Pro Tour this year yet.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Wazza180 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:40 pm Noppert: Semi Final of a PC today.

Durrant: 2nd in the PL. Unbeaten after two weeks.

Harms: Beat Anderson yesterday in a PC event.

Ratajski: Won a PC event this evening.

Jeff Smith: Made the final of PC event last weekend.

Scott Mitchell: Top of the CT.

Fallon Sherrock: PDC' biggest drawing card.

If you are going to criticise the BDO, at least have the honesty to give them due credit. They are still the PDC's main source of talent and without them the PDC's tour would be a lot less well off.
Boasting about a BDO World Champ being top of the CT?! :DDD: :DDD:
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Not giving the BDO credit for any of the foreigners who are doing well (or otherwise).

So from this "golden era" of BDO darts, we have Duzza and Waites now in the PDC. Both top players, clearly. Mitchell should get up there soon enough. Kenny is young and I think he'll have a good career.

Baker has yet to reach the last 32 of a PDC major. Let's see what happens there. Sherrock doesn't have a tour-card and the crowd are kinda helping her a little. On the regular tour I doubt she'll make too many waves, but she's had a far bigger impact by playing the men rather than the munters - ALL to the benefit of the PDC *chuckle*

Ashton has done well to gain a tour card when others couldn't, but I doubt she'll reach the top 32. Conan the Barbarian is pretty average and Jamie Hughes is nowhere near as successful in the PDC as he had been in the BDO. If I were IFM, I'd get on the board and start practicing because thinking clearly isn't for him.
TimmyB
County Player

Post by TimmyB »

NvH wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:16 am Not giving the BDO credit for any of the foreigners who are doing well (or otherwise).

So from this "golden era" of BDO darts, we have Duzza and Waites now in the PDC. Both top players, clearly. Mitchell should get up there soon enough. Kenny is young and I think he'll have a good career.

Baker has yet to reach the last 32 of a PDC major. Let's see what happens there. Sherrock doesn't have a tour-card and the crowd are kinda helping her a little. On the regular tour I doubt she'll make too many waves, but she's had a far bigger impact by playing the men rather than the ladies - ALL to the benefit of the PDC *chuckle*

Ashton has done well to gain a tour card when others couldn't, but I doubt she'll reach the top 32. Conan the Barbarian is pretty average and Jamie Hughes is nowhere near as successful in the PDC as he had been in the BDO. If I were IFM, I'd get on the board and start practicing because thinking clearly isn't for him.
Only 4 paragraphs. Well done you.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:34 am Yes, the BDO was strong in its own right up until this year.

It's sad. The BDO had a marketable alternative to the PDC and their 8 players. Yet it was all squandered by the Williams administration. They couldn't run a bath, let alone a darts organisation.
Haha@8 players. But sure, there's a marketable alternative to the top 8 players. 9-32 can also play in the PDC. This is pretty much what has happened.

And it was Frank Branscombe who ruined it all. Tommy "I let a pensioner steal tens of thousands from under my nose" Thompson told us so, and he's never wrong.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

TimmyB wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:28 am
NvH wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:16 am Not giving the BDO credit for any of the foreigners who are doing well (or otherwise).

Baker has yet to reach the last 32 of a PDC major. Let's see what happens there. Sherrock doesn't have a tour-card and the crowd are kinda helping her a little. On the regular tour I doubt she'll make too many waves, but she's had a far bigger impact by playing the men rather than the ladies - ALL to the benefit of the PDC *chuckle*

I'm trying to take into account the comprehension skills of my average reader.
TimmyB
County Player

Post by TimmyB »

NvH wrote:

A couple of words would do.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

TimmyB wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:35 am
NvH wrote:

A couple of words would do.
:DDDD:
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

NvH wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:04 am
oche balboa wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:51 am The class of 2016-2019 was a good era for quality of BDO players but it was against a backdrop of poor BDO planning & PDC having a good period

Glen Durrant
Krzysztof Ratajski
Jamie Hughes
Danny Noppert
Darius Labanaukas
Mark McGeeney
Conan Whitehead
Gabriel Clemens
Scott Baker
Martjun Kleermaker
Nick Kenny
Jeff Smith
Andy Hamilton
Krystof Kcuik
Wes Harms
Scott Waites
Scott Mitchell
Lisa Ashton

Andy Hamilton was only there because he was no longer good enough to even have one of the 128 Tour Cards in the PDC. Mark McGeeney hasn't won a match on the Pro Tour this year yet.
Hamilton is now on the Pro tour. McGeeney is in a bad run of form.. it happens

oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

They are competitive on the Pro Tour. People like Brett & you have been claiming for years that the BDO had nothing left and the cupboard was bare and yet it clearly isnt.

Jamie Hughes won on the European Tour.

NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

oche balboa wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:11 am

They are competitive on the Pro Tour. People like Brett & you have been claiming for years that the BDO had nothing left and the cupboard was bare and yet it clearly isnt.

I was actually a lot milder with my criticism towards the BDO back then and to be fair I wouldn't even have called Brett a fanboy. They did have quite a few good players left, after all. There isn't much left to work with now though, is there?

Maybe McGeeney's form will change? But Jamie Hughes' TV record in the BDO vs PDC? There's a big difference. The fact is, these people don't really need the BDO. It's £450 to enter Q-school, you don't get any special discount because you played in the BDO. So a talented player who just plays local league and tournaments is as able to enter Q-school as anyone who did the BDO circuit.

The foreign players mentioned are in general doing very well indeed, but their development has little to do with the BDO.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

NvH wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:20 am
oche balboa wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:11 am

I was actually a lot milder with my criticism towards the BDO back then and to be fair I wouldn't even have called Brett a fanboy. They did have quite a few good players left, after all. There isn't much left to work with now though, is there?

Maybe McGeeney's form will change? But Jamie Hughes' TV record in the BDO vs PDC? There's a big difference. The fact is, these people don't really need the BDO. It's £450 to enter Q-school, you don't get any special discount because you played in the BDO. So a talented player who just plays local league and tournaments is as able to enter Q-school as anyone who did the BDO circuit.

The foreign players mentioned are in general doing very well indeed, but their development has little to do with the BDO.

Hughes as a BDO player vs PDC was mixed. He suffered bad defeats to Dobey (Last 16) and Lennon (Group stage). But he was actually the last player to knockout Gerwyn Price in the Grand Slam after beating him 5-1.

Vast majority of players at Q School would have played a BDO event or at least in the BICC (Some PDC Tourcard holders play BICC) As for foreign players they played in majors ran by the BDO.

NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Scott Mitchell is a Lakeside champion and is on the CT. Dave boy Green is a nobody and is also competing on the CT this year (and he has no BDO background to speak of).