BDO Accounts y/e 31st May 2019 - now available

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ILAD
International

Re: BDO Accounts y/e 31st May 2019 - now available

Post by ILAD »

Has Paula had owt to say on Facebook yet? Anyone getting blamed?
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

ILAD wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:38 am Has Paula had owt to say on Facebook yet? Anyone getting blamed?
She's still too busy spamming Torremolinos posters to comment..
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Has anyone set up a gofundme page to save the BDO yet?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:38 pm
greatkingrat wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:56 pm Do we actually know for certain Potter paid the entire prize fund for the 2019 World's or are people just assuming he did?
Pretty sure he did. BDO would have been using non-payment as the excuse for moving if he hadn't.
Well you say that but remember it was only finalised last minute, wouldn't surprise me if Des tried to move it, failed and then when he went back to Potter, which we know he did, Bob said we'll host it but at 30% of the prize fund. Des would have had his hands tied with nowhere to go and be forced to accept any terms Potter offered. You don't get to Bob's age and success without being ruthless in business. Add a confidentiality agreement into the mix and we know where the rest of the BDO money went.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

ILAD wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:38 am Has Paula had owt to say on Facebook yet? Anyone getting blamed?
The accountants are fekkin avvin it!
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

I havent got anything to base this on other than pure guesswork, but I doubt potter was paying 100% by 2019.

Probably a decent chunk but not the full whack.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Rout wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:39 pm I havent got anything to base this on other than pure guesswork, but I doubt potter was paying 100% by 2019.

There has to be a reason why 2019 was announced so late, arguments over Lakeside's contribution to the prize fund fits all the known facts.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Rout wrote:I havent got anything to base this on other than pure guesswork, but I doubt potter was paying 100% by 2019.

That's what I was thinking as well, and would explain both the cash disappearing and the fact that the tickets were on sale late.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Back in the days when most sessions were full and therefore lots of hotel rooms sold, he probably was fronting the full lot or most of it. I suspect as ticket sales started to wane a little in the last few years, he wasnt willing to pay the same amount. Perhaps it was done on a pro rata basis thereon.

Still though, if lakeside paid 50% (or even less) it would still be far superior to anything they would get anywhere else and still insanity to move.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Gruntface
Pub Champion

Post by Gruntface »

And even if he was partially covering the prize fund it is unlikely the % was cut radically for 2019 to account for the drop (no way that des wouldn't have let that fact be known),

The bdo was operating at a profit of nearly 100k in the two proor years (I didnt go further back so not sure about historic profits) so even at reduced levels from potter the bdo were not disintegrating.

Per my earlier point, the counties surely have to press for both a breakdown of the massive loss and an updated status on current finances on behalf of their members.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Gruntface wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:35 pm And even if he was partially covering the prize fund it is unlikely the % was cut radically for 2019 to account for the drop (no way that des wouldn't have let that fact be known),

The bdo was operating at a profit of nearly 100k in the two proor years (I didnt go further back so not sure about historic profits) so even at reduced levels from potter the bdo were not disintegrating.

Per my earlier point, the counties surely have to press for both a breakdown of the massive loss and an updated status on current finances on behalf of their members.
County committee today rolling their eyes at the figures but not surprised.
My county did not vote for Jacklin and we have been saying this was likely to happen if the incompetent Jacklin was elected.

View here is the BDO is finished and even if Des is voted out at the next opportunity that no-one would want the job of captain of The Titanic anyway.

If BDO Enterprises folds and takes BICC money with it, county darts will still survive as it is self funding.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Rout wrote:Back in the days when most sessions were full and therefore lots of hotel rooms sold, he probably was fronting the full lot or most of it. I suspect as ticket sales started to wane a little in the last few years, he wasnt willing to pay the same amount. Perhaps it was done on a pro rata basis thereon.

Still though, if lakeside paid 50% (or even less) it would still be far superior to anything they would get anywhere else and still insanity to move.
The thing is that the BDO made nothing out of Lakeside, and made losses on World Masters and World Trophy, and having to part fund the payout at Lakeside would really drive the finances down, with no opportunity for a big sponsorship deal.

I can really understand the desire to leave Lakeside on that basis, as otherwise the only income was from TV deals, which thanks to Sue and Warren Brown were harder to come by.

The big problem, other than general incompetence in organising the majors and terrible communication, was leaving Lakeside without sponsorship in place. Reducing the prize money to the level that Potter was willing to pay, and looking for future sponsors at the same time, would have bought the BDO some time at least.

Gruntface
Pub Champion

Post by Gruntface »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:47 pm
Gruntface wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:35 pm And even if he was partially covering the prize fund it is unlikely the % was cut radically for 2019 to account for the drop (no way that des wouldn't have let that fact be known),

County committee today rolling their eyes at the figures but not surprised.
My county did not vote for Jacklin and we have been saying this was likely to happen if the incompetent Jacklin was elected.

View here is the BDO is finished and even if Des is voted out at the next opportunity that no-one would want the job of captain of The Titanic anyway.

If BDO Enterprises folds and takes BICC money with it, county darts will still survive as it is self funding.
Agreed. I can't see anyone possessing the skills to be able to turn things around actually wanting to take on the job. If des does go it will likely only be chances who talk a big game that will be interested.

Shame about the apathy from the counties though. Feels like apathy is institutional and has been for quite some time. The new era is right around the corner.

Selfishly, all I care about is keeping dart boards in pubs. Whether the bdo are able to stage a world championships or not has little bearing on that.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Addicks Fan wrote:
Rout wrote:Back in the days when most sessions were full and therefore lots of hotel rooms sold, he probably was fronting the full lot or most of it. I suspect as ticket sales started to wane a little in the last few years, he wasnt willing to pay the same amount. Perhaps it was done on a pro rata basis thereon.

The thing is that the BDO made nothing out of Lakeside, and made losses on World Masters and World Trophy, and having to part fund the payout at Lakeside would really drive the finances down, with no opportunity for a big sponsorship deal.

I can really understand the desire to leave Lakeside on that basis, as otherwise the only income was from TV deals, which thanks to Sue and Warren Brown were harder to come by.

The big problem, other than general incompetence in organising the majors and terrible communication, was leaving Lakeside without sponsorship in place. Reducing the prize money to the level that Potter was willing to pay, and looking for future sponsors at the same time, would have bought the BDO some time at least.

I hear you and some very relevant points there but the fact of the matter was the lakeside prize fund was actually way beyond what this essentially non profit organisation could afford on their own. They had a better deal than they could ever hope to secure elsewhere without even having to try. On top of the fact that fans are drawn to the iconic nature of the venue. For me the lakeside was the linchpin of the whole system. The 100k top prize was key to keeping hold of (some of) the top players and ensured the whole tour was competitive.

Both the previous boards catastrophic mistakes have been to to try and chase the pdc buck. The lakeside should have been left totally alone (other than doing a better job of selling tickets of course) the WDT ditched and all efforts put into restoring the masters back to something credible and then just improving trust and communication within the ranks.

Theyve done pretty much the exact opposite of what was needed in pretty much every department. It's very sad to see.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Addicks Fan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:08 pm

This
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Rout wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:50 pm
Addicks Fan wrote:

I hear you and some very relevant points there but the fact of the matter was the lakeside prize fund was actually way beyond what this essentially non profit organisation could afford on their own. They had a better deal than they could ever hope to secure elsewhere without even having to try. On top of the fact that fans are drawn to the iconic nature of the venue. For me the lakeside was the linchpin of the whole system. The 100k top prize was key to keeping hold of (some of) the top players and ensured the whole tour was competitive.

Both the previous boards catastrophic mistakes have been to to try and chase the pdc buck. The lakeside should have been left totally alone (other than doing a better job of selling tickets of course) the WDT ditched and all efforts put into restoring the masters back to something credible and then just improving trust and communication within the ranks.

Theyve done pretty much the exact opposite of what was needed in pretty much every department. It's very sad to see.
The players in the system at the time wanted another major/tv event thats why the World Trophy was created.
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

I can't argue with you about the World Trophy and World Masters, but Lakeside was an issue on the horizon if they had no source of income. The 100,000 couldn't be maintained if Potter was only part funding it, so the strength of the tour would be weakened anyway, and the chances are that Lakeside as an option would only last a few more years.

The BDO need an income stream which if you don't get any from Lakeside (it all goes to Potter) relies on sponsorship, TV deals and fees from players/tournaments. The last two boards have done a really top job in making decent sponsorship or TV deals hard to get. Player levies or tournament fees were always going to be difficult, and in the hands of this board counter-productive . You are left with ticket revenue from your flagship event. Thin pickings, massive gamble, near suicidal without any sponsorship in place.

And yes, very, very sad.

Rout
International

Post by Rout »

oche balboa wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:

The players in the system at the time wanted another major/tv event thats why the World Trophy was created.
If there was 6 majors, the players would want 7. Its up to those in charge to do what's viable. The masters ticket sales were poor before the wdt was created, so it was folly to pursue a third when the second wasnt up to scratch.

I'm sure the players would rather play in 2 thriving majors than 1 that's doing okay and 2 that struggle like hell.

If you cant make a success of the oldest major in history then you've no right attempting expansion.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Gruntface
Pub Champion

Post by Gruntface »

Rout wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:12 pm
oche balboa wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:

If there was 6 majors, the players would want 7. Its up to those in charge to do what's viable. The masters ticket sales were poor before the wdt was created, so it was folly to pursue a third when the second wasnt up to scratch.

I'm sure the players would rather play in 2 thriving majors than 1 that's doing okay and 2 that struggle like hell.

If you cant make a success of the oldest major in history then you've no right attempting expansion.
Genuine question as not in the know: how much influence do the players sponsors have? Are they pushing players to push for majors (for the tv exposure) or are they relatively voiceless and the players themselves were perhaps a little greedy?
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Gruntface wrote:
Rout wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:12 pm
oche balboa wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:The thing is that the BDO made nothing out of Lakeside, and made losses on World Masters and World Trophy, and having to part fund the payout at Lakeside would really drive the finances down, with no opportunity for a big sponsorship deal.

Genuine question as not in the know: how much influence do the players sponsors have? Are they pushing players to push for majors (for the tv exposure) or are they relatively voiceless and the players themselves were perhaps a little greedy?
Theres probably people on here in a much better position than me to answer that but from my experience and limited knowledge, I doubt many have too much involvement.

Not many players in the grand scheme really have sponsors that pay heavily anyway. Some pretty big players in the pdc have open spaces on their shirts.

I think it's more likely in the modern era that players have backers than sponsors, ala bristow/taylor anderson/smith - or with a management company that will perhaps take a cut.

If it is a genuine sponsor, more often than not it's someone quite local to the player and are simply backing a mate and just wanna see him/her do well and get recognition locally for backing a local 'hero'.

"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.