DRA suspends McKinstry and Nijman-Barney a cheat

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
PreciesJJ
The Ton Club

DRA suspends McKinstry and Nijman-Barney a cheat

Post by PreciesJJ »

The PDPA is disheartened to learn that two of our members have been referred to the Darts Regulation Authority (DRA) Disciplinary Committee for formal hearings for breaches of integrity rules in relation to betting and match-fixing in DRA sanctioned events, unconnected with the Professional Darts Corporation.

This is considered a serious matter and it is right and just that any player in breach of these rules is punished accordingly. Kyle McKinstry and Wessel Nijman have both been suspended from attending or competing in DRA sanctioned events until the conclusion of the hearings.

McKinstry has indicated his intention to appeal this decision therefore the PDPA is unable to comment further on his ongoing case at this time. Nijman has accepted the charges, admitted the offence, expressed his regret and is fully cooperating with the DRA.

While the PDPA as an organisation condemns his actions, we also recognise his admission of guilt, his remorse, his willingness to cooperate and his desire to re-educate himself on matters of integrity.

We have provided Nijman with support, guidance, education and assistance and will continue to do so throughout the case and beyond.

The same support remains available to McKinstry. Our primary purpose is to serve and support all of our members and we hope that Nijman’s mistakes will also serve as a reminder of the severity of such an offence.

Members are reminded to engage with our educational activities, including the e-learning module on betting integrity and our annual seminars. We also recently released new social media guidance, which includes the advice to report any integrity issues to the relevant authority.

Any suspicious approaches should be reported to the DRA or players should contact the PDPA for assistance in such matters.

The PDPA will be making no further comment on these individual cases at this time but would like to take this opportunity to remind all members to remain vigilant, educated and safe in this area.
Kinks
Steady Sixties

Re: DRA suspends McKinstry and Nijman

Post by Kinks »

What a shame, two of the better players who currently don’t have a Tour Card who I would have expected to get through Q School next time round, as much of a minefield as it is.

Nijman is currently 2nd on the Development Tour Order of Merit so possibly wouldn’t have even needed that avenue (and sitting on a provisional WC spot) so more than likely that’s been thrown away.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Wouldn't surprise me if there was more going on
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Barney threw his game against Adams, no matter what Phil Barrs believes.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Ginge wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:24 pm Barney threw his game against Adams, no matter what Phil Barrs believes.
No he didnt

Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

JFT97
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

The post above is interesting. I think I did read that McKinstry would not hand over his phone records.

I wonder I some players still see this as a pub game were it doesn't matter if you 'fix' a game in a minor competition.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

oche balboa wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:25 pm
Ginge wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:24 pm Barney threw his game against Adams, no matter what Phil Barrs believes.
No he didnt
If Phil says he didn't I'm convinced.
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

So the ones that didn’t sign that DRA contract to play qschool are free to get away with it???
County Player

Post by 1205 »

phil davies wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:51 pm Let’s hope if proved guilty they get a far harsher punishment than those two Aussies did for match fixing.

As for McKinstry he has to be one of the most overrated players ever in comparison to what he has actually achieved in the game. Loads online and pundits like Mason kept saying they fancied him to have a run at the BDO worlds and he never did and then he hasn’t even come close to winning a card at q school.
McKinstry is one of the best scorers outside the PDC, but lacks bottle. Under pressure he starts drifting out of the 20. I think people rate him because of that scoring.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

I can’t believe someone as young as Nijman has been allowed to have been manipulated like this. It’s stupidity, but he’s still a kid in darting terms. See Mohammad Amir.

Genuine remorse, but total stupidity. How did he allow himself to get sucked into it? Considering all of the education and warnings around this.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Never really watched Kyle play until he knocked Drupes mate out of the UK open recently.
Whilst stood next to Drupes at the front row.
He was gutted.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Who?

BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

David Owen mate
PVDarts501
Steady Sixties

Post by PVDarts501 »

TheSandman wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:58 pm So the ones that didn’t sign that DRA contract to play qschool are free to get away with it???
Q-School has nothing to do with that contract. The Modus League is DRA sanctioned as well.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

I wonder if more went on in these on line events.... I didn't actually watch any of them, the PDC ones, the Modus ones or any.... I thought they were just some throwaway events to pass the lockdown time and didn't know they would be watched by the DRA... I assume the players knew so no real excuses but really I doubt some players thought they were doing that much wrong by not trying too hard in these although actuly losing a match on purpose for money even in these is pretty bad....
It's all about the betting isn't it which is always on dodgy ground..
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

I don't suppose there were any phone records for the old Gary Anderson v Darryl Fitton match... that would have been more a quiet word to each other beforehand 🤔
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Nijman pulling the John Higgins defence

Nijman has already admitted to match-fixing during the Icons of Darts Live League after being pressurised to lose the match against the BDO World Championship quarter-finalist.

“I would like to place on public record my sincere regret and apology for the mistake I made in relation to betting and match-fixing,” Nijman said in a Professional Darts Players Association (PDPA) statement.

“I was put under some pressure to lose a match and I agreed to do this. I have admitted the offence and take full responsibility for it and will accept my punishment.

“I should have spoken to my management, the PDPA, DRA or police when I was put in this position and would advise any other player who finds themselves in a similar position to do that. Instead, I went along with it and made a stupid mistake that I am rightly being punished for.
“It was a one-off error of judgement which I want to put behind me and do everything I can to put right.

“I have made private apologies to the people who I have let down, including my family who have backed me through my whole career, my management and sponsors, and I want to publicly apologise to them and everybody involved in darts, including fans.

“My actions are a personal mistake made by me and not a reflection on the sport of darts. I want to move on, rebuild my career and reputation and am committed to helping to educate others through my own unfortunate experience so that this kind of offence can be prevented.”

https://dartsplanet.tv/nijman-admits-ma ... ve-league/
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

BlueSpark wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:50 am David Owen mate
:D
PreciesJJ
The Ton Club

Post by PreciesJJ »

The PDPA are aware that Kyle McKinstry has admitted to a charge related to match-fixing in a Darts Regulation Authority (DRA) sanctioned event, unconnected with the Professional Darts Corporation.

The DRA are in the process of dealing with this case, which is considered to be serious. It was announced last week that McKinstry has been suspended from attending or competing in DRA sanctioned events until the conclusion of his DRA hearing.

McKinstry has admitted a charge of match fixing in a fixture against David Evans. There is no suggestion whatsoever of any wrongdoing by Evans. The PDPA is assisting all parties concerned, including McKinstry and will continue to offer support in line with its duties as an organisation.

Our primary purpose is to serve and support all of our members and we hope that McKinstry’s mistakes and any punishment he may receive will also act as a reminder of the severity of such an offence.