Harrington Says "Terry Jenkins attitude stinks"

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Harrington Says "Terry Jenkins attitude stinks"

Post by spaceman70 »

Was surprised to hear Rod say this. Yes Eric had a bit of a go at him in Vegas, but Terry has upset a few of the top brass for a while.

However saying that the PDC would accept his resignation tomorrow, is a step to far and should not be aired on TV in my opinion.

I don't think it helped when Terry was filmed at Lakeside on the day of the PDC awards ceramony to be honest. I think we all know that Terry does quite well away from darts and it's clear to see that he has lost some love for the game.

What's next for Terry Jenkins?
jameshope
The Ton Club

Re: Harrington Says "Terry Jenkins attitude stinks"

Post by jameshope »

Got to agree with Harrington to some extent especially when he said players are on the exhibition circuit as Jenkins,Manley and Mardle have been doing why do it when there is big money up for grabs on the PDC circuit
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

I was actually talkining with Terry at the Unicorn launch and he was saying how busy he had been with his houses and other things and darts got in the way a little.

He did say that he was again practicing and enjoying darts. I think he will come good again.

The premier league is not all that it seems for some players,I guess it can take away the love of the game for some.
JFT97
hang the dj
County Player

Post by hang the dj »

Bag Carrier wrote:I was actually talkining with Terry at the Unicorn launch and he was saying how busy he had been with his houses and other things and darts got in the way a little.

He did say that he was again practicing and enjoying darts. I think he will come good again.

The premier league is not all that it seems for some players,I guess it can take away the love of the game for some.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Terry doesn't particularly enjoy the Premier League.

Oh well with the new format next year he won't have to worry about playing in it
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

I remember speaking to Terry in Taunton.

Came across as a lovely fella by the way.

Anyway I got the distinct impression he could really do without the PL.

It just seems to me that he is his own man and pretty well off away from darts so it isn't always the focal point of his life.

I would have thought that Rod would be well aware of this, so not sure why he said that.

We shouldn't forget though, that Terry had a lot of money to defend last year, which he did and maintained his ranking, so he is still one of the best in the world on his day.

Who knows what the future holds for 'The Bull' but he seems to be a bloke who is very much the master of his own destiny.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

ST87
Steady Sixties

Post by ST87 »

I haven't been able to see any of the Matchplay (other than a few clips on Sky Sports News) but I don't think it's entirely surprising that Harrington has criticised Jenkins. Rod did exactly the same thing when Terry was knocked out in the UK Open.

Generally I think Rod's honesty is commendable and he's improved tenfold as a pundit. Too many pundits in sport are dull and offer patronising analysis, but if accurate then his comments seem harsh.

As for Terry's appearance at Lakeside, I don't see what the problem is. Obviously he could have picked a better day, but I don't hear other regular visitors such Colin Monk, Andy Jenkins, Denis Ovens or Russ Bray being criticised for doing the same thing.

What next for Jenkins? He's had a quiet six months, but it's too early to tell whether his current run of bad form is irreversable.

It's also easy to forget that had he suffered this kind of slump last year then he could have plummeted down the rankings. He had a lot of cash to defend so to keep 5th place wasn't bad.
Further details to be announced shortly.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

ST87 wrote: As for Terry's appearance at Lakeside, I don't see what the problem is. Obviously he could have picked a better day, but I don't hear other regular visitors such Colin Monk, Andy Jenkins, Denis Ovens or Russ Bray being criticised for doing the same thing.
I don't think anyone has a problem with players visiting Lakeside, but Terry was expected to be at the PDC awards dinner, and he hasn't been critisised publically for this, it's just my observation.
Lurgan
Superleague Player

Post by Lurgan »

Its up to Rod to call it as he sees it. Unlike Eric, Rod is a senior figure in the PDC and doubling up as a pundit may increasingly become more difficult. A few years ago I don't think Rod would have been as critical as he has been in recent tv events, but as he has grown into the pundit job he has started having the confidence to call it as he sees it and it makes for much better tv.

One thing about him is that he is at every pro tour event, its not as if he makes his comments then disappears til the next tv event. If somebody has an issue with him he is available to discuss. Indeed I had an interesting discussion with Rod in the past about some things I had posted on SoD about his time managing Jaws.

At the end of the day when you strip back what he has been saying about players like Terry Jenkins and Adie Lewis I think there may be a fair degree of truth there. Rod knows there are players there with the talent to do better but are not applying themselves properly. He also knows what it is like to win major events. I think that Lewis in particular could have done a whole lot worse than knocking on Rod's door and listening to what he has to say rather than bumming along to early exit after early exit.
bovvered
The Ton Club

Post by bovvered »

according to some people,qualifying for the next premier league was changed so terry was hopefully excluded,i have it from the horses mouth that he will try and throw a spanner in the works and really go for it to qualify !
Lurgan
Superleague Player

Post by Lurgan »

bovvered wrote:according to some people,qualifying for the next premier league was changed so terry was hopefully excluded,i have it from the horses mouth that he will try and throw a spanner in the works and really go for it to qualify !
Not much evidence of that last night I'm afraid
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Lurgan wrote:
One thing about him is that he is at every pro tour event, its not as if he makes his comments then disappears til the next tv event. If somebody has an issue with him he is available to discuss. Indeed I had an interesting discussion with Rod in the past about some things I had posted on SoD about his time managing Jaws.
I was talking to Rod in Dublin and he was going on about this chap called Lurgan that he wanted to have a word with.

You were sat about 10 feet away at the time! :DDD: :DDD:

Fair do's Rod has really grown in to his role and as you say he is approachable and happy to talk. :D
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

OllyNufc180
County Player

Post by OllyNufc180 »

I have to say its out of order to say that live on air, and thats an opinion he should have kept to himself but to be honest i'm in agreement

think about it........terry is missing pro tours when he fancies, not even taking games like last nights against brown seriously when theyre is so many people like pipe, heydon etc. who would have relished the chance to get up there and play...............its easy money for jenkins even if he goes out 1st round every time, where as you see these other players like browm, pipe, heydon really putting the effort in to earn their corn on the floor and make the breakthrough to get on the TV

sorry but i wouldnt be dissapointed to see the bull retire now as he could well be a PL participant and that would be a disaster!
Lurgan
Superleague Player

Post by Lurgan »

[quote="OllyNufc180"]I have to say its out of order to say that live on air, and thats an opinion he should have kept to himself but to be honest i'm in agreement
quote]

I disagree Olly, I think Rod should be calling it as he sees it. Whether people listen is up to themselves. Much better pundits calling it right than pretending everythings is wonderful. Rod is no mug, he realises the PDC players outside of Phil need to seriously up their game to avoid the thing becoming stale.
Mr Glass
County Player

Post by Mr Glass »

If a player comes out and honestly admits that he is not too interested in the game anymore, or says 'they could do without the hassle', I find (as a fan) it very hard to root for them to Win.

I like Rods honest punditry. Long may it continue. :DDDD:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price
King-Juffy-Jar
Steady Sixties

Post by King-Juffy-Jar »

Rod is a plonker, he really need to wake up to fact that not everyone wants to stand in front of a dartboard for 8 hours a day and taking it deadly serious, Terry has said that he doesn't want to do what taylor does and plays for fun, if rod is too bloody ignorant to understand that then perhaps its him who should resign.

Believe it or not, some people play for the love of the game and are happy to be up there playing for fun and if they do well then its a bonus, if they lose then never mind.

Look at the state barney got into taking it deadly serious !
Martin Adams Beard
Pub Champion

Post by Martin Adams Beard »

If he moved to the BDO do you think he could win the world championship.
King-Juffy-Jar
Steady Sixties

Post by King-Juffy-Jar »

Martin Adams Beard wrote:If he moved to the BDO do you think he could win the world championship.
On current form its doubtful, but an inform Jenks would be able to not doubt.
Ross
The Ton Club

Post by Ross »

Martin Adams Beard wrote:If he moved to the BDO do you think he could win the world championship.

He wouldn't bother.

He will stay in the PDC but is enjoying his life and business lately, It's his life and he can choose how he lives it.

He is good enough to play at the top level I have no doubt in that.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

What with Martin there.........you're having a laugh!!

Paddy

:bat:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Spud180
Pub Champion

Post by Spud180 »

Its only the sort of criticism that barney got, barney even got worst at times! Wade for being lazy.

Harrington and Jenkins have history, or part of his management team or something? Obviously alot more than meets the eye there.

Premier league has been well noted, as a pain, Having to turn up days before the event. Extra travel, press, interviews. Than just nuckling down and getting on with it.

Not everyone is a Phil Taylor, who is totally dedicated to darts.