Time to give out WC wildcards?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Murphio
International

Time to give out WC wildcards?

Post by Murphio »

I know we have mentioned this from time to time on other threads but since it appears that uncle Bazza really does take the views on forums seriously I hope he gets to see this one and gives it some consideration.
I think its time the PDC rewarded former World Champions with a lifetime wildcard to the qualifiers for the World Championship. Obviously this would be problematic to some degree in that their is only four people in Priestly, Taylor, Part and Barney who have won the PDC version, so for me Id just open it up to include anyone who has won any version of the title.
I think this would reward guys like John Lowe (anyone think he would give it a bash?), Andy Fordham, Richie Burnett, Bob Anderson, Keith Deller etc etc for everything they have done for darts - but more importantly it would add some interest to the qualifying stages which are in truth often a major disappointment. No idea how it would affect Bristow (would he do it even for a bit of fun?), Wallace, David etc but anyone think there is any merit to it? If its good enough for golf.....
Ginge
International

Re: Time to give out WC wildcards?

Post by Ginge »

If John Walton is to be believed, former Lakeside champs will be gaining exemptions from 2012 onwards.

I'm not gonna let it drop until someone admits he was correct.
Big Jock Knew
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

PDPA members can enter the qualifiers for free anyway. Players like Lowe are lifetime members so all they have to do is turn up. Unless you are taking about prelims?
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Bradders wrote:If John Walton is to be believed, former Lakeside champs will be gaining exemptions from 2012 onwards.

If its true then imo I think its justified - why not? If you win a major in golf you are entitled to participate in it for life. No problem with it at all.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

spaceman70 wrote:PDPA members can enter the qualifiers for free anyway. Players like Lowe are lifetime members so all they have to do is turn up.
I talking more a straight entry into the prelim stage to face the guys from the Philipines, Japan etc who sometimes force the Sky cameras to switch off :D
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

Murphio wrote:
Bradders wrote:If John Walton is to be believed, former Lakeside champs will be gaining exemptions from 2012 onwards.

If its true then imo I think its justified - why not? If you win a major in golf you are entitled to participate in it for life. No problem with it at all.

Agree with you mate, it would be a nice touch to properly reward past champions
hang the dj
County Player

Post by hang the dj »

spaceman70 wrote:PDPA members can enter the qualifiers for free anyway. Players like Lowe are lifetime members so all they have to do is turn up. Unless you are taking about prelims?
Is this the case for all the founding members of the PDC or WDC as was?

If so do they still have to pay their annual membership fee?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Murphio wrote:

I don't have a problem with it either - however people have denied he ever said it, even though it was recorded on tape.

I await my PM from Fatz :DDD:
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Lee Taylor wrote:
Murphio wrote:

Agree with you mate, it would be a nice touch to properly reward past champions
Absolutely - and as I said I also think that seeing guys like Burnett, Fordham, B Anderson, Deller etc in the prelims would certainly add something to that stage of the competition which sometimes makes for grim viewing.
Lurgan
Superleague Player

Post by Lurgan »

Absolutely spot on murphio. I think forcing the legends to choose when the setanta tour stated lacked class from the pdc.
Rudy
County Player

Post by Rudy »

Nice and respectful thought to revere the past champions by introducing them into the prelims of the worlds, but suppose -and this could easily happen- Eric or John gets thrashed 6 zip by the Phillipine champ, what good does this do to their heritage and reputation? We've seen Eric get rather humiliated at the legends tour, so as he's my younger years' favourite player I'd like to save him from that.
Bob Anderson, Keith Deller and Tony David, however, might well be able to survive the prelims i.m.o.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Rudy wrote:Nice and respectful thought to revere the past champions by introducing them into the prelims of the worlds, but suppose -and this could easily happen- Eric or John gets thrashed 6 zip by the Phillipine champ, what good does this do to their heritage and reputation? We've seen Eric get rather humiliated at the legends tour, so as he's my younger years' favourite player I'd like to save him from that.
Bob Anderson, Keith Deller and Tony David, however, might well be able to survive the prelims i.m.o.
I know what you mean - on the other hand up until a few years ago you'd see Arnold Palmer still playing in the majors with Lee Trevino etc. Obviously they werent going to figure but they do add interest all the same. I think the legends tour proved people still want to see these guys play even though they arent at the standard they were. IMO it wouldnt just be a nice gesture - it would spice up the often poor prelims. In years to come we could see the likes of Barney, Part, Beaton and Taylor take part as veterans...who knows?
Krispy
County Player

Post by Krispy »

I think this makes a lot of sense.. both from the fact that the 'tour card' appears to 'borrowing' rather heavily from golf.. and the fact that some of those players may well win a game or two.

Plus there's something heartwarming to see the old (ish) greats playing - and it would bring some fun and excitement to the early round when often the press aren't as interested. PR wise its a big WIN!

Yes they could lose 6 zip to an unknown.. but as long as they took it well, played to the crowd and treated it like an exhibition to some extent, they should come out of it unbruised.. and they'd be enjoying the crowds reception far too much to notice I would expect.

Make it so! :D
Webmaster and editor/writer of the PDC fansite; Darts, Beers & Cheers!, and Exhibition and Open Tournament database.
Play (terribly) for Stilton Country Club.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Krispy wrote:I think this makes a lot of sense.. both from the fact that the 'tour card' appears to 'borrowing' rather heavily from golf.. and the fact that some of those players may well win a game or two.

Plus there's something heartwarming to see the old (ish) greats playing - and it would bring some fun and excitement to the early round when often the press aren't as interested. PR wise its a big WIN!

Yes they could lose 6 zip to an unknown.. but as long as they took it well, played to the crowd and treated it like an exhibition to some extent, they should come out of it unbruised.. and they'd be enjoying the crowds reception far too much to notice I would expect.

Totally agree mate - and surely the venue would sell more tickets early on aswell?
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Murphio wrote:
Krispy wrote:I think this makes a lot of sense.. both from the fact that the 'tour card' appears to 'borrowing' rather heavily from golf.. and the fact that some of those players may well win a game or two.

Totally agree mate - and surely the venue would sell more tickets early on aswell?

Yes I think it would be a good idea.

But I dont think BH was over the moon with the concept of the Legends, so a non goer I'm afraid.
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

What a load of rubbish.

Comparing it to golf for a start is a total nonesense. A golf field is massive compared to a WC darts field. Ive seen people defending the farce that is the tour card because of golf, forgetting the lowest placed tourcard holder there in 2009 made £200,000

The WC field in the PDC is already too big - 70+ for darts is too many. Who do you start denying places to? The internationals? Ok, lets forget all the good efforts the PDC make to branch the game out worldwide, cut back and invite more champions past their best. The PC OOM or lower end of the OOM? Yes lets cut out the form players of today and those out grafting week after week.

Or add to the numbers? Yes lets have a WC of 80+ - ask Sky to add to what is already, quite a dull first week of darts in December by extending their tournie time to the best part of a month.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Maverick
Superleague Player

Post by Maverick »

Rout wrote:What a load of rubbish.

Comparing it to golf for a start is a total nonesense. A golf field is massive compared to a WC darts field. Ive seen people defending the farce that is the tour card because of golf, forgetting the lowest placed tourcard holder there in 2009 made £200,000

The WC field in the PDC is already too big - 70+ for darts is too many. Who do you start denying places to? The internationals? Ok, lets forget all the good efforts the PDC make to branch the game out worldwide, cut back and invite more champions past their best. The PC OOM or lower end of the OOM? Yes lets cut out the form players of today and those out grafting week after week.

Or add to the numbers? Yes lets have a WC of 80+ - ask Sky to add to what is already, quite a dull first week of darts in December by extending their tournie time to the best part of a month.
Fair enough rout but compare the costs involved with playing the Pro Golf tour......and how much profit did that player actually make? I'd wager not a great deal , if any!
Robert Mitchell 17th March 1938 - 8th September 2018 Rest in Peace Dad , no more pain xxx
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

A lot more than the player ranked 128 in the pdc!
TROUBLEAGAIN
Superleague Player

Post by TROUBLEAGAIN »

If not World championships perhaps a UK open play off for veterans who would qualify for entry though.
watty
Brass Darts

Post by watty »

Rudy wrote:Nice and respectful thought to revere the past champions by introducing them into the prelims of the worlds, but suppose -and this could easily happen- Eric or John gets thrashed 6 zip by the Phillipine champ, what good does this do to their heritage and reputation? We've seen Eric get rather humiliated at the legends tour, so as he's my younger years' favourite player I'd like to save him from that.
i agree with this but i do not think tony david should be in the list he has never played pdc or had intentions of playing for the pdc
and yes i am australian.

wayne watt